Help! Too Many Eggs!

1. fish gazer Member Member

I added a zebra nerite to the tank on June 14. I didn't want to over-populate the tank so decided on this little guy, hoping it was a male. June 28, I see perfect little white dots on my driftwood, took me a while to figure out they were eggs! I tried to scratch it off but failed and the driftwood debris was making a mess. Its now july 6 and there's so many more eggs on the other side of the wood and a few here and there in crevices, how she got there, I have no idea!

How long will the eggs stay there??? How often will she be laying eggs?? What's the best way to remove it from the driftwood??

Please...Help...

2. fish gazer Member Member

Sorry, water looks not so good at the moment.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404664566.604714.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404664625.716134.jpg

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

My snail eggs look like a huge clear sac with tiny white dots in, these look more like individual white eggs, they remind me more of corydoras eggs. That is my opinion. Coradee is the cory expert. I wonder what she makes of these eggs? (sorry to steer you this way coradee, but you are the lady in the know!)

I would consider that they may not be snail eggs and look into other options too! whatever they are, you may have some babies soon so, congratulations!x

4. fish gazer Member Member

Oh wow. I didn't even consider them to be cory eggs! When I picked out my corys, I tried my best to get male looking ones! No congrats needed, I didn't want any eggs or babies in there, lol!

I don't want my tank with extra fish than I already have and I wouldn't know what to do with them after. Oh boy....

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cory eggs are round & sticky & you can roll them off with your finger, nerite eggs look like sesame seeds & stick like concrete, I'd say those were nerite eggs

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thanks coradee. I apologise for the confusion... Mine are very clear with tiny white dots! Maybe those aren't nerite eggs im seeing, although.. There is only nerites in there to my knowledge but there is also probably a million ramshorns as they seem to be everywhere at the moment!

7. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Those definitely look like nerite eggs. They really are attached hard. I left mine in place for a few weeks, but finally scraped them off the glass. I do have a rabbit snail that one of the nerites "decorated" and those finally came off. I don't know if that happened spontaneously, or if his movement scraped them off.

8. fish gazer Member Member

Ya. I made a mess with my driftwood as I tried to scratch it off so I really don't want to mess with it anymore. Do you think it will eventually fall off on its own, it can't stay there forever right? And how often do you think she'll lay eggs?

Sent from my cell phone.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

From what I've read they lay pretty constantly if there's a good food supply