Help This Poor Rabbit! Important

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I was outside with my dog (in my backyard) and I heard a squeaking. I thought, oh, crap. This wouldn't be the first rabbit my dog's gotten to. I scream and rush over. I see a little baby, no more then a week old (eyes shut, no hair) completly fine, but lost. I scooped it up with gloves and put it near where I had guessed the nest was. A few hours later, he's (yes, its a he) still laying in the same spot. I can imagine that he won't live through the cold and hunger. Is there anything I can do for him? I see no mom anywhere, for hours. Please help! The sun is setting and it gets cold.

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Bring him in. Give him milk.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

What kind? I can't bring him inside (my mom claims it might have rabies).

@Mary765 can you help me here? I know you have rabbits.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Mother rabbits are rather skittish, and this kind of thing may well scare her off for a few hours. How cold does it get where you are? And, under no circumstances should you feed it milk, as I assume you only have access to cow's milk, which has very different proteins from rabbits milk and can seriously harm other species.
    Edit: I wouldn't bring it inside btw, rabies isn't the only disease. Plus, there's a good chance it would get out of whatever you would use to hold it and could injure itself in the house or eat something poisonous to it.

5. JoeCamaro

It's nature, that's how things go. Some live, some die.
    It's the circle, the circle of life

6. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I live near Jersey. I was wondering if I could offer it some nesting material.

7. Rtessy

If you were going to do anything, I would recommend nesting material, you're right on track. I don't know what you could offer, unless you have some kind of small mammal pet and have nesting for them. I don't know if you could use a blanket, as it would smell human, and scent matter a good bit more to mammals than birds (also the myth about momma birds not coming back for babies because a person touched it is wrong). Maybe if you have some craft stuffing, though I guess that may be dangerous if it decides to chew on it. I would worry about food though. What kind of nesting material could you offer?
    Lol you changed your opinion real quick :p

8. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Tissue, toilet paper. Should I bring that out? I gave all my hamster stuff away. My research says that the mom will return at night and feed them for 5 minutes.

9. Rtessy

If you have unscented tissues/toilet paper, then yes, that's a great idea!

10. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Thanks

Just did it, tucked him good night:emoji_heart: I hope he's here in the morning. I'll get pics, too. Will continue to update this thread.

I gave him a new warm bed this morining. No sign of the mom.

Attached Files:

11. JoeCamaro

Awwww poor thing

12. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

Not sure where in the world you are, but it might be time to call a licensed rehabber to see if there is anything else that can be done, or if they need to step in assist.

If you are in the US, your state's Department of Wildlife can refer you to someone, or you may be able to find a listing of licenced rehabbers online and contact them directly.

13. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

Aww, poor little thing.
    I had a rabbit nesting area in my yard. My mom didn't know where it was, and she noticed a hole. She used her foot to fill the grass and dirt back in, she stepped on the babies :(
    They all passed though :(

14. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Growing up with a large backyard, I used to come across kits (baby rabbits) all the time. Honestly, it might be you’re doing more harm than good. Just because you don’t see the mom doesn’t mean she’s dead. Maybe you’re doing the correct thing. I don’t know, but I just wanted to throw that info out there.

15. Sakura48

@emmysjj
    You are positive that you aren't seeing the mom? She only comes by once a day for a few minutes just to check on them and give them food.

16. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

If the rabbit's eyes are still closed that means it should still be in it's nest not out of it. When this happens we put the rabbit back into it's nest if we know where it's at. If not, we normally take it to our local vet since she has a rehab person that picks up the wild animals. That baby will need medical attention since it is so small and hasn't been fed yesterday.

17. Sakura48

18. Rtessy

I agree with calling a wildlife rescue, I didn't realize how young we were talking. I'm glad you gave it some nesting material though. Even if the mom happens to be coming back, that's a shot in the dark type of guess whereas a wildlife rescue can either guarantee good care or reassure you the mom is around.

19. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

It gets really hot here (85 degrees). Should I offer water?

I see some fur growth, and this is the first time that he's struggled when I 'picked him' up (not with my hands). The baby hasn't moved (or, been moved), so that's why I'm assuming no mom. However, his belly seems full and round. Is it fullness or bloat?

Called my local wildlife center, going to try to get him there tomorrow. Right now, its storming, so he's sleeping in a bow in my garage. Any way I can try to give him water?

20. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

I'd ask the wildlife center what you can do for the poor thing. Glad that you are going to take it in.