Help!!!! there is an inturder in my tank

mackaimee
I just did a water change in my tank and ran the siphon over the reedy grass type plant that I have in my tank and I noticed something move on the sand. It looks like a grass hopper with a tail, I had a look on the web at shrimp and they have tails that go from side to side, this thing in my tank has a tail that goes from top to bottom, like a normal fish does V shaped, what could this thing be, I can not get a photo as it has taken off and is hiding, I don't know where it came from or when.

Any help that anyone can offer would be great going on the information provided

Lucy
Wow! What size tank and type of fish do you have?

Amnagrla
lol wow... yes... how big is the tank? what's in it? did you add anything recently?

and I know this may sound silly..... but could you draw it and scan it it? or maybe use the program Paintbrush? I think even if you did an absolutely horrible job drawing it (which I'm sure you wouldn't) it would give us a better idea as to how to identify it!

mackaimee
Wow! What size tank and type of fish do you have?

it is a 3 foot tank - about 120/140 litres

I have in it
4 cat fish
2 kuhlI loaches
1 spinny eel (ring in, he came with a plant I bought)
1 rummy nose
3 mollies
4 guppies
3 baby guppies (didn't know I was expecting, found them on mothers day)
1 Unidentified grass hopper looking fish thing

mackaimee
lol wow... yes... how big is the tank? what's in it? did you add anything recently?

and I know this may sound silly..... but could you draw it and scan it it? or maybe use the program Paintbrush? I think even if you did an absolutely horrible job drawing it (which I'm sure you wouldn't) it would give us a better idea as to how to identify it!

I bought some plants about 2 weeks ago, but I washed them throughly before I placed them in the tank, as for drawing it, I am not that good a drawer, but if you picture a grass hopper/cricket with a fish tail, that is it.

Amnagrla

From what you describe I would think it sounds like a Bamboo Shrimp. Does this look familiar??

mackaimee
From what you describe I would think it sounds like a Bamboo Shrimp. Does this look familiar??

I am not sure, in relation to his body which way does his tail go, from side to side it looks like in the picture, this thing in my tank, its tail goes up to down, if you get what I mean just like a fish tail, and he seemed a bit darker than your shrimp and I could not see any antenna althoug he was only small, about 1cm long, if it is this,

can he stay in my tank
are my other fish safe from him
is he safe from my other fish
does he need special food
How did he get in here

thanks

Amnagrla
His tail goes up and down. I think we found the culprit!!

Yes he can stay in your tank. He is harmless to other fishes. He has satelite claws (they are like venus flytraps.. they just filter the water for food and then he puts it in his mouth!) He can get to about 4" (5-8 cm). They are fast little guys who like to climb. They also change colors! Sometimes mine was brown, sometimes red. The molt as well so don't be scared if you see it.

They're fun!

Lucy
lol, hey, I'm no help here, but I would guess it came in on your plants.

mackaimee
His tail goes up and down. I think we found the culprit!!

Yes he can stay in your tank. He is harmless to other fishes. He has satelite claws (they are like venus flytraps.. they just filter the water for food and then he puts it in his mouth!) He can get to about 4" (5-8 cm). They are fast little guys who like to climb. They also change colors! Sometimes mine was brown, sometimes red. The molt as well so don't be scared if you see it.

They're fun!

Thank you so much, I thought that I was seeing things to start with, I will keep him, don't really have much choice, I can't find him now. I have a planted tank so he is hiding. It has been very interesting month in my tank, on mothers day I found 3 baby guppies and they are growing quite well, I never removed them I just left them in the tank, I figured if they survived till now in the tank hiding in the plants then I won't disturb them. I just found that shrimp thing and I have also noticed latley that my yellow guppy is very fat and has a black spot at the rear of it. so I just bought a breeder box thing and she has just moved into it, so I will wait and see what the last days of may bring me, hopefully no more surprises

thanks again, you have really helped me out

mackaimee
lol, hey, I'm no help here, but I would guess it came in on your plants.

I am guessing so, it is not the first time that has happened to me, in january I bought a potted plant for my tank and when I got it home I put it into my tank and out popped a spinny eel, he had no water from the pet shop to my house, about 15 min, and he went straigt into my tank, not getting him used to my tank or anything like that and now 5 months later he is still going strong and he is such a pleasure to watch,

Lucy
Oh, it sounds like a fun tank....you keep getting surprises!

Amnagrla
Yay! Surprise tank!!!

mackaimee
Yay! Surprise tank!!!

surprises are ok but I am still only new to this fish buisness, and I have only just started to get the hang of keeping the plants and the fish alive at the same time, so I am wary of things that are in the tank that I have not put in there, so don't get me wrong some surprises are good

thanks again guys

sirdarksol
This particular surprise runs in the area of fifteen dollars or more at some pet stores, so I think you got quite a deal.

COBettaCouple
Let us know if you find any more new additions to the tank.

mackaimee
This particular surprise runs in the area of fifteen dollars or more at some pet stores, so I think you got quite a deal.

great, with any luck he will survive to live a long life

mackaimee
Let us know if you find any more new additions to the tank.

will do, I have 2 pregnant guppies in a breeding tank at the present, and am not looking to purcahse any new plants any time soon, so the only additions I should be getting will be by my guppies

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cooper2309
Replies
Views
DuaneV
Top Bottom