Help!! The Most Effective Way To Treat Fungus On Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Richard, May 18, 2006.

1. RichardWell Known MemberMember

I'm now realising that the reason why I'm losing fish in my tank#2 is because of some kind of white fungus which grows on them near the tail! This is the tank I mentioned in my last post about under-gravel filters,which while it had in the UGF,had regular water changes and gravel vacuuming done every fortnight..Never the less I started losing fish in it about a week before I took out the UGF(and discovered a foul smelling gunk coating the bottom of the tank),and I've lost 2 since then to this fungus! I've removed all charcoal and have started treating with an all natural anti-fungal remedy called Pima Fix..Can anyone tell me if this stuff is strong enough to eliminate the fungus..and if there's anything else I can be doing to sort this mess out?..I feel so helpless wanting to save my fish and not knowing if I'm doing enough..and everytime one dies,I feel like a little piece of me is being torn out..HELP!!

2. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It sounds like you may have a case of Ich. (or is it cottony?) Either way a good start is a good sized water change if you haven't done one already and then depending on the temperature of your tank, the usual start on the treatment for Ich is to take the tank slowly up to 85 degrees and leave it there for at least 14 days. If you have had fish deaths, I do not know if Pimafix is going to be a rapid enough response. There is a medication called Quick Cure that does work wonders on Ich, but cannot be used on inverebrates, snails, live rock, shrimp or some fairly rare fish. It is also used in lowered dosages on fish in the Tetra family. It will turn your water colors (green) but it is temporary to almost everything but some suction cups and such material.

I have used the above treatment on more than one of my tanks and it has been successful. I hope I have been helpful. I am so sorry about your fish, I know it is painful to lose a pet when they are like family members. :'(

Please keep us informed on the progress and do not hesitate to post any questions or comments you may have.

Rose
    :'(

3. RichardWell Known MemberMember

Actually,on Monday when I took out the UGV,I did a complete water change and clean out of that gunk at the bottom of the tank.What I'm seeing doesn't look like Ich spots but more like a white patch near the tail that can double in size in the space of a few hours.I didn't want to use Quick Cure if it wasn't an Ich problem,but if it can also work for Fungus then I'd switch now..please let me know.

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like you need to try Fungus Clear Tank Buddies by Jungle Labs. They are effervescent tablets that are a kind of broad spectrum help for fungus growth. You just drop one tablet in for each 10 gallons of tank size and wait 4 days and do a water change 25%, if the problem is not contained, you repeat the dosage one time. I would still keep your temperature up just in case. I have used these for many problems from cotton mouth disease to fin rot and had good results on most occasions. On the occasions when they did not work to my satisfaction it was due to a late start in treating the problem. I have not had fish die after treatment, just had to treat with a stronger medication as a follow-up.

I hope this is helpful.

Rose
    :)

5. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

those tablits get pricy when treating a 55 gallon tank tho.

6. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

If you have to treat a whole tank that size, the medication price is going to be higher. That is why if only a few fish are sick, most folks are going to put them in a quarantine tank that is smaller, not just to seperate them from the other fish; but to decrease the amount of medication needed to treat them because most meds for fish are fairly pricey.

I have smaller tanks and the Tank Buddies are the best option for me, but if anyone else has another product that they use that is going to clear the problem up; please post on it. The Tank Buddies are not the only medication for this type of thing, but the only one I have had experience with other than the Melafix and Pimafix treatements and Quick Cure. The rest of the meds I keep on hand are mainly for bacterial infections and would not help with this type of problem. I hesitate to recommend a medication that I have not had personal experience with.

I am hoping this is, in some way, helpful.

Rose
    :D

7. RichardWell Known MemberMember

Hiya Rose,it just so happens that I bought a box of the Fungus Clear Tank Buddies and started treating the tank yesterday,only to log in today and read your recommendation..I am a lot more at ease now reading your success rate,so I'll continue using that treatment if necessary..so far it seems to be working effectively,with little clumps of the fungus which had started to appear yesterday morning,gone today.
    Pricewise,it's not too bad,a box with 8 tablets is a little over 3 dollars US at the supplier I bought it from,so if necessary I'll snag another box for a second treatment..I do have a question though,if a second treatment is not needed,should I still wait 4 days before I do a water change and put back in charcoal filters?

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The first dose needs to be in the tank for the full 4 days (I even watch the time of day) and then do a 25% water change. If they do not need a second dose, you can add the carbon filter back after this water change; but if they need a second dose then you repeat the process with the same filter in (no charcoal) and wait 4 more days and do another 25% water change THEN put in a new carbon filter. It just depends if the virus is completely gone, don't do without the second dose if there is even a little bit of it left as it can come back with a vengence and then the Tank Buddies won't do the job for you probably as the fungus will have built up a tolerance to it. Once you get rid of it though you should be very safe.

I do hope they continue to improve. Glad to hear you are seeing some improvement. I really am sold on them as I have used them for a lot of problems and I know of others who have used them as well. Omorrokh just had a bout of fin rot and used them on her Otos, I believe. She said they made her fish seem "sleepy" but they worked. I can deal with "sleepy" as long as they do the job. :D

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice