HELP, the BETTA BUG has burrowed into my brain!!

1. bubblefish Member Member

Well, with all of the excitement over Ken's Wriggley, reading other member's posts and doing a bit of research, I now want one. I will get one that is currently having to live in a cup because there are so many in this situation. If you have any tips or advice on how to pick one out, that would be helpful and very much appreciated.

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

The betta will pick you just wait and one day you will look at one and know!

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Get the one that smiles at you!!

4. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas have a way of doing this to humans...They are the most awesome fish I have ever owned...Unfortunatally, every time someone purchases a poorly kept Betta from a cup it leads to MORE Bettas being poorly kept in cups...It's a "supply on demand" thing....

I usually keep quiet on the forum about this subject but I feel people should know that it is better to go to a good breeder to purchase your fish...Places like Walmart, Petsmart and other pet chains simply don't have the manpower or the knowledge to care for these little fish properly...The initial cost of that "cup baby" may be cheaper but it comes with a price tag down the road if not immediately...They are usually older and in poor condition.....

OK, I'll get off of my soap box now and wait to get banned from Fishlore lol

5. bubblefish Member Member

I was looking at three rows of bettas in cups last night. It's hard to tell if they are okay because they seem so listless. They have no room to move around so I can't even judge by their level of activity. So sad.

6. bubblefish Member Member

Hi MM, I hadn't considered the supply and demand aspect. I was thinking more along the lines of going for the dog in the overcrowded shelter that really, really needs a home. You have a very good point so I will check to see if there are breeders in my area. Thanks.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;hi2 bye bye
    lol... as if you would ever get banned. People refer to you so often on here that I remember once asking on the forum what an MM was.

bubble, I've been wanted a betta too. My husband's pretty much insistent on just the one tank, though, and since bettas don't play too nice with others...
    I had one years ago, in a death cup. I had no clue that what I was doing was so horrible. The cup had, literally, maybe 12 ounces of water, if that. The poor boy lived maybe 2 months.

8. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

MM, we will never ban the mommy of our little guys!!!

9. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

MM ... I absolutely understand your point of view. I now have 5 cup babies. It is a viscious cycle, I will give you that. But these boys and girls are deserving of good, healthy homes. Those of us on this website are not enough of a majority to stop pet stores from stocking bettas in small cups. I keep rescuing them from these conditions because I know without me they are sentenced to death. Bettas will always be sold in pet stores. Just because they come from a mass-breeder/exporter ... does it mean they don't deserve loving homes like the one I provide? They certainly didn't choose to be brought onto the market the way they were. I find it unfair to hold it against them. I know others may have differing opinions ... but this is what I feel in my heart.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like a hot topic to me, maybe should move over into its own thread before it takes over bubblefish's thread?

11. bubblefish Member Member

Meenu: sorry you did not have a very good experience with the betta you had. I would make sure that the one I have will have lots of room, good filtration and everything else that it would need. I PROMISE!!!

12. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I have to disagree with you Upright....A lot of Walmart stores have already stopped stocking Bettas because of consumer complaints..(Me being a major one of them)

When my love for the Bettas 1st started all my kids were cup kids.....I battled one problem after another once I brought them home.....I understand people feel they want to RESCUE these poor fish but it shouldn't be a "RESCUE" it should be a purchase of a healthy well bred fish who has been fed properly and kept in clean water.....

Like I stated earlier, most pet stores just don't have the manpower to care for a fish that requires daily water changes when kept in small cups...

Back to my corner now lol

13. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. Bubble...you'll know when you find the right one!

14. bubblefish Member Member

Okay, now i'm feeling like I should apologize for starting this thread. I just didn't know how to choose one. MM, thanks so much for your points and Upright, I understand yours as well. Thanks all.

15. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you'll know...Back to our regular scheduled program now .... Sorry for the interference but I just had to speak my mind because of the love I have for these fish.....

16. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

+1 to MM.

Ok back on topic,

Where ever you decide to get a betta, Bubblefish. The betta will chose you, you could decide on male and female or tail type but in the end there will be one that catches the strings of your heart and give a tug. It might be the eyes, the flair, the dance or colour. You will know the Betta for you when it sees you. You do not have to be there in person to for the betta to chose you! I saw a picture of a betta once on Aquabid that tugged my heart strings, i chose him and he came and lived with me and we had a special bond, until i went away on holiday and he died from a virus, i still miss that guy 2 years later and hold his tank empty ready for one to find me again this way!

Good luck in your hunt, Have the 5g (or bigger) set up with the heater and filter and the bio media in another tank ready so you can instant cycle!

Anna

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Bubblefish,
    I am absolutely positive that you are going to do well for your new betta - it's easy to tell you are conscientous, and just the fact that you are on this website means you know more about fishcare than I did back when I started. lol...

I say whichever way you go (breeder or cup baby), choose a betta that looks healthy and appeals to you. They are so colorful and pretty!

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Our bettas have always chosen us. We see them and we just know they're supposed to be ours.

19. bubblefish Member Member

Thanks everyone. I'm certainly going to give this a lot more consideration before making any decisions. I think for now, I'm going to focus on stocking tank #2 and setting up the 55 gallon for my new goldie friends. They need to be seriouly spoiled so I will make it a priority to do that for now.

20. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe you'll find the Goldie bug is almost as bad if not worse then the betta bug (I suffer from both :p)
    The betta will chose you, whether it's from a chain, aqua-bid, or a kijiji rescue. You'll know them when you see them :)