HELP! tetras laying eggs?? Important 

Catalina

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve been in the hobby for a few years now, but recently got back into it by setting up a 10 gallon planted tank. I decided to get 2 red eye tetras from my LFS to 1) have something to look at in the tank while it settles 2) help along the cycling process. I added the tetras yesterday, and today I have noticed a ton of small, clear egg looking things with a white center all throughout the tank, on the driftwood, gravel, and several plants. I’ve noticed a bladder snail laying eggs as well and I know that they’re not the same. These new ‘eggs’ are not in any sort of cluster but single eggs all over the place. At first I thought it might be fungus coming from the wood, but they’re very circular and also on the plants & gravel. I’ve never owned Tetras or other egg layers, so I have no idea what I’m looking at or if they’re even tetra eggs!! Should I be trying to remove them? See if they’ll hatch?? Please help! A681C524-D6FC-4DC2-81F2-9FEEF08BF291.jpeg A681C524-D6FC-4DC2-81F2-9FEEF08BF291.jpeg 1C408D0F-C644-4754-8366-AF81FA26D4A0.jpeg AE7ADEAC-0704-4AA8-8CE0-EEF5A08E866D.jpeg

Attachments

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They will scatter eggs everywhere like you are seeing. They will also eat what they find. If you have another tank you could I’ve the adults and then feed the fry. If not, enjoy the ride. Spawning fish are cool!

Catalina

Reaction score
mbkemp said:
They will scatter eggs everywhere like you are seeing. They will also eat what they find. If you have another tank you could I’ve the adults and then feed the fry. If not, enjoy the ride. Spawning fish are cool!
That’s pretty neat :) I’m glad to hear it seems like they are fish eggs vs a fungus or something else bad. Do you know if the eggs have to be externally fertilized or are they fertilized before being laid? Because I don’t even know if I have a male & female or two females lol. Thanks for your reply!

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a pair then he fertilized as she laid them. If they are fertile they will be more of an amber color. Unfertilized eggs will fungus in a day or so.

Catalina

Reaction score
mbkemp said:
If you have a pair then he fertilized as she laid them. If they are fertile they will be more of an amber color. Unfertilized eggs will fungus in a day or so.
If they are unfertilized should I try to remove them or just let them decay in the tank?

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would remove them. Do you have any snails?

Catalina

Reaction score
There is at least one bladder snail I have seen & several snail egg clusters, but I think that may be all that I have in there at the moment

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They will eat eggs too. Keep an eye on snail numbers. A few is a good barameter. If the population blows up then you know they are eating too well

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look so big to me.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just introduced the fish to the tank, and the eggs are sprayed everywhere. More likely you got a heavy female, and the change of environment caused her to release her eggs. It is sort of an egglayer miscarriage, who knows how long she's been carrying those eggs. All of the eggs I see in the photos are infertile, they have white centers. They probably were not fertilized.

Catalina

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
You just introduced the fish to the tank, and the eggs are sprayed everywhere. More likely you got a heavy female, and the change of environment caused her to release her eggs. It is sort of an egglayer miscarriage, who knows how long she's been carrying those eggs. All of the eggs I see in the photos are infertile, they have white centers. They probably were not fertilized.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was thinking the case to be but wanted some more opinions to be sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom