HELP! Tetras bullying Gouramis!

DancinRick

Just need some quick help with a school of bleeding heart tetras! I have 12 BHTs in a 60 gallon tank, I wanted to expand the community so I added 3 powdered blue gouramis. So far the gouramis keep to themselves, but the BHTs won't leave them alone, they are constantly following them around and fin nipping! It has only been 24 hours since the addition of the new fish, so should I wait for awhile longer to see if they all calm down, or in the best interest of the gouramis, should I return them to the store with the hopes they find less harassment in a new home? Hate to take these gouramis back, they are quite stunning! Thanks!!

TexasDomer

Welcome to Fishlore!

Are these dwarf gouramis and are they all male? If so, I'd rehome two of them as soon as possible. Male gouramis will fight to the death.

The tetras might just be curious for now. I'd give them a few days to get used to the new fish before taking action.

DancinRick

Hi, thanks for the welcoming! Yes, they are dwarf gourimis. Yes they are all male, I can take 2 out and re-home them. If I just leave one gouramis in the tank by himself will he be okay with the other 12 bleeding heart tetras, or should I look for some females to back him up

TexasDomer

He should be okay once their curiosity is satisfied, but you can add females if you can find them

Per Albertsen

Wait a bit more to see if things do not fall into place. I had the same problem with my Tetras bullying and "hunting" my Rainbow fish, when I first added them to my tank. Was really annoying to watch.

Took a couple of days before they each found their place in the tank. Now they seem to be good friends.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom