Help- Tetra Safestart Crashed?

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you adding the TSS+ at least 24 hours after adding any Prime? Assuming that Prime is your water conditioner

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
loser_gone_wild_ said:
No, no Prime, but what about Prime harms the bacteria? I’ve heard the ammonia remover damages it, or does just plain water conditioner harm it?
Prime only affects TSS+, it doesn't have any effect on Stability, which is Seachem's brand of bacteria in a bottle. I can't remember the exact effect prime has on TSS+, but I know it's recommend to add TSS+ at least 24 hours after using prime.

What size tank do you have? Are you doing fish in or fishless cycle? What is your water temp? What dechlorinater/water conditioner do you use?
You've got Nitrates, so your cycle is moving along

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
loser_gone_wild_ said:
I have a 2.5 gallon, I’m doing a fish in cycle with Safe Start, water temp is around 76 degrees, and I use Stress Coat to condition the water.
What fish do you have in your 2.5 gallon?

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thing is .. you're really not supposed to do water changes during the TSS cycling process... and it's probably better to NOT do tests as that will freak you out *grin*. I'm not sure what doing the water change will do to your cycle and the TSS .. you may need to add more TSS now and then leave it alone!

loser_gone_wild_

Reaction score
Galathiel said:
Thing is .. you're really not supposed to do water changes during the TSS cycling process... and it's probably better to NOT do tests as that will freak you out *grin*. I'm not sure what doing the water change will do to your cycle and the TSS .. you may need to add more TSS now and then leave it alone!
Ok, well good thing is I have some SafeStart at home. Should I change the water before adding the SafeStart and if so, how much should I take out? And how would I know if my fish was suffering due to poor water quality?

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're getting ammonia, water changes are pretty much unavoidable. You can use Prime to detoxify the ammonia up to 1ppm, but the 24hr gap is needed before using any TSS+

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, they are not unavoidable if you read the TSS instructions. It has specific instructions about what is deemed acceptable considering that you have added bacteria. I think it says something like with TSS in the tank, if it's less than 2.0 then it is still safe for the fish. (read the instructions, OP). The TSS has to have some ammonia to work and grow. It won't have a completely 0 reading until it's cycled .. right around 2 weeks for me is when that occurred.

loser_gone_wild_

Reaction score
Galathiel said:
Actually, they are not unavoidable if you read the TSS instructions. It has specific instructions about what is deemed acceptable considering that you have added bacteria. I think it says something like with TSS in the tank, if it's less than 2.0 then it is still safe for the fish. (read the instructions, OP). The TSS has to have some ammonia to work and grow. It won't have a completely 0 reading until it's cycled .. right around 2 weeks for me is when that occurred.
Ok, well that clears things up. But doesn’t ammonia need to read a low amount before you add TSS? I know too much ammonia could kill bacteria.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With a fish in you dont need a detectable amount of ammonia. The fish provides the ammonia constantly to the tss+.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Read the instructions. I think it actually says what is too high for the ammonia to be. However, you probably WILL have an ammonia reading of some sort when cycling with TSS+ because of not doing water changes for at least two weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom