Help! Tank Is Being Weird

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lilymae123, Apr 25, 2017.

1. l

lilymae123 New Member Member

I have cleaned out my tank about 4 times completely now because of algae problems in my tank. It's a 12 litre and I've had it since December. I used to have 10 neon tetras and a betta but I sold my neons because my betta was picking on them. Im not that experienced in fish keeping but I have tried so hard with my tank to keep my fish healthy, I've done water changes and pH testing and I've just added an algae formula to help out in the next week. I don't know what to do. I have cleaned the whole thing multiple times yet algae keeps coming back. And now my water is clouded and green! I can't even see through my tank! At first I thought it was a bacterial bloom but now it doesn't look like it. Does anyone know what this is and how I can prevent it? What can I do? Maybe some tips? I am worried for my bettas health. Please help me out! I feel really bad for him!

Attached Files:

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Looks like there has been a bloom of Algae.

The green water can be caused by over feeding and excess light. Is your tank exposed to direct sunlight. This is not toxic to your fish.

Try turning off the lights in the tank and blocking any direct light sources.
    You can also try introducing daphnia, Nerite Snails or Amano shrimp to the tank, they should eat off the Algae

3. OP
    OP
    l

lilymae123 New Member Member

No I have moved it out of direct light but I turn the light on sometimes during the day. I don't over feed my betta so I don't think it could be that. Thank you so much for helping out!! I'll do some research about algae blooms.

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Okay, for now just completely turn off your tank lights and try getting Daphnia, Amano shrimp or Nerite snails.

5. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

How long are your lights on every day? Do you have parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Being as its only a 12 litre and you only have 1 fish just start again empty the tank out snd re-fill it, using the tap safe which i presume you know about, do you have a filter? Im guessing you also dont know about cycling, id just start over again and do some research on the nitrogen cycle and what not i was in that position a couple years ago i think its better you are learning on a small tank just get on google and do some reading on the nitrogen cycle. Just research evetything in the tank from the fish right dow to the smallest ornament.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice