Help! Surprise Guppy Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mrtonytyl, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Mrtonytyl

MrtonytylNew MemberMember

HEY! So i just started my first aquarium and i had a fish-less cycle for 4 weeks and now have 4 guppies to help establish my aquarium.... 1 week into having my guppies and closely monitoring them; I have a found out i have 8 new fry guppies! :eek: So I did some quick reading and I separated them from the Large aquarium and put a plant for them to hide with in the separated bowl. I am now ordering a breeding box for them! What should i do in the mean time? What should i feed them? How long do they take to grow? So many questions!!! Would love any help!

Attached Files:

2. surajk

surajkValued MemberMember

Been through this. I had 8 survive, they've been in a 3gallon cycled last 8 wks. They're now old enough to tell with 100% confidence the males from females. Somehow I have 6 males and 2 females, I'm keeping 4 males and have moved them back to my main tank. The females are likely already pregnant and I plan to give them to the lfs before the cycle repeats.

Feed them baby fish powder, brine shrimp, daphnia and egg yolk once in a while, if you feed them thrice or 4 times a day they'll grow faster. Likewise with temp at 80f, 26-28C.

Seems they need bright light to ensure their spine isn't deformed.

And btw, the minute I realised what I'd got myself into, I gave the original guppies back to the lfs. They will breed every month. This doesn't end. Get out now!

3. Jack B.

Jack B.Valued MemberMember

I feed mine some frozen baby brine shrimp or you could crush some flakes into a powder and feed that

4. didiwags

didiwagsNew MemberMember

I got some guppies a couple months ago and one has had babies twice. The first time one survived and we got a netted breeders box for it. Last night the same guppie had babies yet again but none survived. As my other guppies and 2 mollies were sitting there like vultures waiting for their snack! The fry from the first one is striving in his or her netted box! Starting to get some color on the tail! Not sure how long till I can let it free with the other fish though!

5. Jack B.

Jack B.Valued MemberMember

Ide wait till it gets its tail colored up good. It’s the first thing to color. So then it’ll be big enough to not get swallowed

6. MileyMorkie

MileyMorkieValued MemberMember

Use a rock and a metal or glass container to grind up freeze dried bloodworms, or brine shrimp, and flakes. The more dense your flakes are the harder it is to turn them into a fine powder. WikiHow says to feed 'em every 2-3 hours but really feed them once in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Male adults are too small to eat the fry and females need to reach max size to be able to fit newborns in her mouth. I got roughly 50 adults, 25 juveniles, and 70 fry. Really the out come is just a simple list of a female's size, other fish, genetics, filters, shock, and syphons. They fry know to stay away from the adults.
    Males will gain their parents' colours roughly at 3 weeks, the females usually need to achieve sexual maturity before markings or other details are visible. Fry learn faster than purchased adults that you equal food.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Mrtonytyl

Thank you thank you, I got the fish powder and will keep the, close to the light and try to keep them at the same temp till get the breeding net:

8. surajk

My pleasure and everyone here has given great advice. If I can just reiterate my last point - think carefully if you really want to maintain live-bearers like guppies. Without fast, big fish that will eat fry, and if you have lotsa hiding places in the tank, you will have too many and handling them is ****. My guppies got into the filter twice and I had to break it down to get them out. I couldn't let them die of exhaustion or starvation but I grumbled all through that process.

Guppies birth every 4 weeks. They have upto 40 babies each time. With enough hiding places, 10 or more might survive. They eat and poop a lot and can overcome filters. in 6 weeks they can get fertilized. By 4 months they can start having babies themselves. Females can store sperm so even without males in the tank they can have babies. The math is insane. These fish have evolved with one strategy. Have lots and lots of offspring and let the fastest survive. They depend on predators to keep populations down, and if there aren't any, this strategy will overwhelm the eco-system they're in, aka your aquarium.

If you must keep the guppies, get some fish that'll eat the fry - a dwarf gourami might do the job.

If all you have in the aquarium is the parent guppies, I'd leave them in the main aquarium. If the fry survived birth and there's stuff for them to hide in, the parents likely won't catch them after. Only need to make sure the can't get into the filter. They'll grow slower since they will compete with the parents for food, but less headache.

9. OP
    OP
    Mrtonytyl

Yes thank you for the information, I guess I’ll have to keep an eye on them and keep up with that regiment of 3 times a day,

10. surajk

Heh...my neons were too small at the time to eat them. Maybe today they could but I still doubt it.
    Mollies are cute little pigs. I can totally imagine them waiting to eat the babies.

11. OP
    OP
    Mrtonytyl

I’ve found out all my adult guppies are female. It just so happens they sold me a pregnant female. So yes I’m going to keep the fry until they become old enough to differentiate between male and female and keep the female and gibe the males back to the store.

12. surajk

Sounds like a plan - I did the same except I'm keeping the males - more colourful and less risk of more fry. The females store sperm and get fertilized really early so you still might end up with fry

. I read about an experiment where many single female guppies was kept alone in single tanks. After 2 years, ALL the tanks had healthy populations of guppies. It's actually remarkable from an evolutionary perspective how successful this fish is in propagating.

It's almost impossible to get a non-prego female guppy from an lfs. The other females will get big too, soon. Sorry mrtonytyl, not trying to be a jerk, but I've been around this roundabout a few times and just want you to know what's coming. Life and guppies will find a way... :)

13. OP
    OP
    Mrtonytyl

No I appreciate any knowledge I can muster up on these little guys, thank you for letting me know your own experience! Aquariums are so versatile anything can happen!!