HELP! Stuff growing on driftwood

1. No Fishing Member Member

I bought a new piece of driftwood to put in my 10g tank. I boiled it for 6 hours until the water was clearish. I let it sit in a bucket of water for 3 days, periodically changing the water 3 times a day.

It's been in my tank now since Friday and has developed this fungus algae stuff all over it. What is it and what should I do? Tank parameters are all normal.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It's mold or fungus, from spores that were in the wood. They're trying to grow because they got wet. It's harmless and can't survive that long underwater. You don't need to do anything, or you could take it out and wipe it off. Some fish, like plecs etc, will actually eat it.

3. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

All my Mopani did that initially in various degrees of eww. It will eventually come clean. Like Hampalong mentions, just clean it off if you don't have fish that eats it. Just to warn you, I found the stuff to be quite smelly. lol

4. No Fishing Member Member

Thank you very much, I've never had this kind of driftwood before so it seemed odd. But now I can see its a very common occurance.

5. katiemorrison94 Member Member

The same thing is happening to my friftwood. It's been in my tank for about 2 weeks. My snail ate some of it, but doesn't really eat it anymore. Someone said Red Cherry Barbs would eat it. Is that true? If not I am thinking about getting some Amano Shrimp to eat it. I have neon tetras in my tank right now, but I am getting sterbai corys this week and eventually getting red cherry barbs too. Should I just let it go until I get the cherry barbs , or should I get Amano shrimp?