Help String Algae

Pineappleman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! So I've had my 5 gallon aquarium running for a couple of months now. And I recently just had live aquarium plants, but since I had them so much string algae has formed and I've been cleaning it Evey week but it just keeps coming back! So I thought it was the plants so I removed them and completely washed the tank and the gravel and all the decorations. Then I used fake plants and everything was fine until MORE string algae came (maybe I didn't clean it enough). So now I'm in a pinch. I have a ton of things to do and I can't keep removing the algae every week only for it to come back in like 5 days. So my question is: should I use some kind of chemical to kill the algae or should I get some kind of shrimp or something??? In the five gallon I have one female Betta and that's it...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ahhh, string algae. If you only had tadpoles.
What are your water parameters? Heater? Filter? Lighting?

If you want to get rid of the algae completely, you can take everything out. Scrub everything down with a bleach solution. If you use gravel, get new. Takes forever to clear it out of gravel. Plastic plants can be soaked in a bucket of the bleach solution. A HUGE word of caution here: if you go this route, you’ll have to rinse everything several times. Make sure you use water conditioner like Prime or API Stress Coat. And this cleaning goes for nets and everything but the fish. Don’t keep the tank in sunlight and don’t overfeed. Answer my first three questions first ok?

Pineappleman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an aquaponics filter and the fluval spec v light and I have a fluval heater that heats the aquarium to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. The water is at a pH of 7 and its crystal clear, so nothing is wrong there. All the other water parameters are good. I also do use the Prime Water conditioner

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom