Help Stocking! 29 Gallon Tank

1. Shawn3210

Shawn3210 Initiate Member

Ok so I'm just about finish cycling my first tank and looking to add stock this weekend. Its a 29g with bdbs substrate, a huge piece of drift wood. Two rocks and some dying plants that I'll replace lol. I'm trying to figure out what fishes to add. I want some color playful fishes. I'm torn between a center piece fish or either German or electric blue ram or a single angel fish. I want to stock them with a place and some Cory cats as well. Not sure what else or which center piece fish to get! Help please! I'm also kinda interested in a fresh water pom pom crab but heard they are escape artist and get stuck in everything.

Here's a pic of my tank!
    IMG_2185.jpg

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Angels sound nice maybe a pair?

3. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

I keep reading that a pair would be too overstocked for a 29? I really want a pleco as well haha

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

NO, definitely do not try two angels in a 29 if you do not have experience with angels. One would be fine though. Also, if you were to do two, you would not be able to get anything else for the middle of the tank.

Beautiful tank by the way!! :) Rams can be tricky especially in brand new tanks. I would skip them for now.

If you get a single angel (or rams) you need to keep the tank very warm. So you will want to pick your cories and your schooling fish keeping the warm temp in mind.

My favorite two schooling fish for keeping with angels are rummynoses or harlequin rasboras. (rummynoses are the best to watch because they school so tightly!)

5. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Haha then maybe you shouldn't get angels. I really dislike keeping single fish without a companion because I feel like when I upgrade the tank and add 1 more it becomes too aggressive and things don't work out.

6. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon haha. I'll be stocking slowly so not to increase my bioload too quick. Between the GBR or angelfish which one is more lively? I do like how angel fish look I'm just worried about overstocking the tank with a pleco

7. OP
    OP
    Shawn3210

So I’m leaning towards 1 angel 1 pleco....not sure how many Corie or other school fish I should get

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I would suggest the ram. Angels grow big, and i personally would never keep one smaller than a 55g. They grow up to 6 inch across in the right conditions, and at least the size of an adults palm.

With a single angel and pleco - both are poop machines - I would consider it rather stocked. Having a ram or two really opens up the options instead.

If it was me, i would swap out the pleco and have a whiptail in there. It would be a great focal point for the wood. Likewise, i would stick some hatchetfish in there, they would look amazing 'floating' over the wood and inbetween the 'branches' at the top.