Help Stocking 25 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Smurphy90, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

Update: Please see post #11: the tank is possibly a 45 gallon.

I have a 25 (US) gallon tank that I recently got running. Currently, it's housing a betta that conned me into buying it while window shopping for the community tank. The betta will obviously be rehommed to her very own, smaller tank, before anything else goes in.

While window shopping at my LFS, I saw a lot of tetras that I would like.

I'm wondering if this rough stock list would work. I've only ever kept bettas, and despite my heaps of research, the numbers can blur together and I might have missed something. So, please critique!

I'm thinking of having:
    ~10 harlequin rasboras (or cherry barbs, if my LFS doesn't have them)
    ~10 Black Phantom tetras
    ~6 diamond tetras
    ~#? small corys (not sure what kind yet)

So 1) Does that seem okay? Is it over stocked? and 2) If it's NOT already overstocked would I be able to add 1 dwarf gourami?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What are the tank's dimensions? The upper level is overstocked with so many schools.

Without knowing the dimensions of your tank, you could likely do this:

1 school of 6-10 fish (either harlequin rasboras, BP tetras, or diamond tetras)
    6x cories
    1-2x Ram OR 1x DG

3. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

It's 80cm x 30cm x 40cm(height)

4. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

I at least thought the rasboras and the phantom tetra schools would be alright, as one schools in mid-top, and the other mid-bottom.

So, taking out the diamond tetras, would the stock be alright?

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree with TexasDomer.
    I would get 10 of one of the schools of mid-top dwelling fish, then get a centerpiece or two and depending on the centerpiece, choose the cory species. At least 6 of one species for cories.

6. bettamarsValued MemberMember

I think this stock would be okay

-10x harlequin rasboras (or cherry barbs, diamond tetras, etc.)

-1-2x ram OR 1 dwarf or honey gourami

-6x Cory (if you get a Ram or two make sure to get warm water cories which I'm sure anders can help you out with)

7. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

Any other recommendations for a centerpiece fish (or pair)?

Anything on the larger size (of what's acceptable for this aquarium and the tetras or raspboras) that's colorful? Or "sparkly" (like diamond tetra-ish, though I know those are schooling fish)?

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There are lots of colorful varieties of dwarf gourami, and rams come in a few beautiful colors...

EDIT: You could also do a few male guppies or platies. Or a few peacock gudgeons or sparkling gouramis.

9. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

Yes, and I'm considering those. However, if there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them as it's not something I've looked into very much.

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

See my edit :)

11. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

There's a possibility that I'll be getting a (roughly) 45 US gallon aquarium for the community, instead. The dimensions are 35.5in(l)x15in(d)x20in(h). That calculates to 166 liters as far as I can see, but the seller says 180 liters, so either the measurement are a bit off, or the liters are. So on the safe side, 44 gallons.

What are my options with that, with the same fish listed in my first post? I know it's not a much larger footprint, so I'm not sure if it would allow me to do both a tetra school AND the rasbora school, of if I'd still be limited to one or the other.

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I think you could safely do 2 schools of 8-10 in a tank that size :)

13. Smurphy90Valued MemberMember

In addition to a school of cories, or with the cories being one of the two schools?

14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

In addition to a school of cories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice