Help stock please

1. Lupinus Member Member

So I came across a good deal on an upgrade to my 10 gallon tank.

New tank will be a 40 gallon breeder (roughly 36 x 18 x 17), and aside from having a fun time trying to find the appropriate hood/top all is going well.

I will be moving the stock from the current tank, a ten gallon, to the new tank once cycling is complete. So that will be two peppered cory, one black kuhli loach, and three male platy. First thing will be beefing up the cory and kuhli loach to their appropriate numbers. So that takes me through the first little bit.

After that is still up in the air. What to add?

School of something on the smaller side, a small school cardinal or Neon tetra's? Harlequin rasbora?

I'd also be interested possibly in adding Gourami as sort of a centerpiece, preferably at least two which I've understood an be tricky. Are there any species that their size and temperament would make this more workable in the tank? Blue or Opaline? DG (local shops have them in various colors/types)? Honey Sunset? Or am I basically looking at only one irregardless of the type in this size a tank?

2. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Pearls can be kept together, as well as Honeys (true Honeys not the color varients of other gouramis), but other than that I'm pretty sure gouramis are pretty solitary.

3. deon junior Member Member

hi i think this would be a great stock list for your tank my 40gl is going to be stocked very similarly

2 pearl gouramis
    8 neons
    5 corys
    5 coolies
    3 platys

4. josh7 Well Known Member Member

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I'd also do 3 pearls.

6. Lupinus Member Member

Thanks for the input, two or three pearls sound like they'ed look great in there.

Would it work to put 2 pearls and a honey sunset or two, or a colorful dg? Or best to just stick to the pearl's? Anything special I should do or be prepared for with the gourami or other fish anyone thinks would also work well?

ETA: I plan to use pool filter sand in the tank but the local supply only carries white and I've read a couple places the gourami prefer a darker substrate. Is this true or will they be fine with the white sand?

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I would suggest not to mix any of those gouramis with pearls just do 3 pearls. I don't think there's really anything to expect except during feeding time make sure your loaches and corys are getting food because the pearls and platys are aggressive eaters and may eat all food off the bottom before the loaches and corys can get anything. I would just feed the bottom feeders about an hour after the lights go out so they can get food.

8. deon junior Member Member

i wouldnt mix anty gouramis. i think you could do two or three pearls or maybe like 4 dwarf honey gouramis but dont mix any. i have tried this and it didnt work!

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not try mixing a DG with pearls, but would certainly try the honey gouramis.

The substrate isn't important.

Feeding small foods eliminates aggression at feeding.

10. Lupinus Member Member

Yeah I figured the DG would be a bit of a long shot but wasn't sure if the honey would work since they are also more peaceful.

For the sand I've heard trumpet snails are a good idea to help keep it stirred up. Yes or no? Anything else that would be beneficial along those lines? I can't seem to find trumpet snails anywhere.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

DGs are not all that peaceful in my experience.

Yes, trumpet snails are essential to keeping the sand aerated and clean. They really are equally beneficial in gravel tanks, but no one except me suggests that :;dk

12. LockedBox Member Member

If you can get female DGs then you could get a large group of them and one male. i had two female DGs and a one male and they get alone fine, the male was much less shy when his girlfriends were around and they would often chase each other about and hide together in the foliage. Just be sure to get more than one female or they'll get sick of each other.

13. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Quick Question... Why?

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Because they are group oriented fish and the tank is 18 inches wide, which provides 50% more 2 dimensional swim space than a 12 inch tank. They could probably add a 4th, but the height of the tank is a limiting factor in my opinion. Also, 3 did very well in my 45, which is 36x12.

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I didnt know they were such fish. I thought all labyrinth fish were not the most social of fish.

I understand the spaces and such, so the reason i asked was because i am getting perals for my 110gallon (5ft x 20" x 2ft). How many do you think i should go for then?

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, my 5 are almost always together The young ones break off to explore sometimes though. Sparkling gouramis are also group friendly, though I have not kept them to say whether they school like the pearls. Honey gouramis are group friendly too. In fact, many species of betta can be kept in groups too.

I would get 8. Mine do very well with the dwarf neon rainbows, and they did well with the larger ones too.

17. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I dont think im keen on that many!... I might go 4 or 5 on that basis, but i really was only keen on 3. Do they seem to ne happier with a group or alone? or is that sortof neutral?

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I started out with one. They are definitely happier in a group - if you want to keep one fish, get a 3 spot ;)

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Okay thank you!...

Apologies for hijacking the thread! :):) In my defence it did seem that your issue is sorted

20. Lupinus Member Member

So was at both Petsmart and Petco and looked around again. No Pearl Gourami, they are going to look for me though and see if they are on the special order list.

In the mean time...any other thoughts or ideas on the center piece/s? They all have blue, opaline, gold, kissing, honey sunsets, and various dwarfs. Angelfish? Cichilid of some sort? Didn't really have my heart set on the gourami just thought they'd look cook. I'm open to just about anything that's a bit larger to have one or two of in there with the other fish so I'm open to suggestion.