Help Starting And Stocking

1. M

Mark Daley New Member Member

I have done a lot of reading but I am still unsure of how I should proceed.

I have a 55 gallon corner aquarium and I plan to stock it with something like 12 tiger barb variations, 6 yo-yo loaches, 6 to 10 smallish tetras, not sure what variety yet and maybe 2 or 3 Denison barbs. This is not set in stone just what I am thinking now. I would like options on this.

I like the idea of tiger barbs because they are active, they school, they seem to be aware of the people that take care of them, look cool, and max out at about 3”. If anyone has any suggestions for fish that fit these characteristics and might get along with other fish better please let me know.

I bought the aquarium and canister filter from a geltamem who used it to keep cichlids, probably around 15 beautiful mature examples of different variations. The filter was running until I brought it home. Within 3 hours I set the filter up in my cycled 10 gallon with 3 swordtails. There it stayed for 2 days until I setup and filled the 55 gallon. I then put all the trimming of dead aquatic pants I have into the 55 and set up the filter and heater. That was about 3 days ago. The readings I get today from the water using test strips is 1 ppm ammonia, . 3 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Gh 75, kh 70, ph 7.

I was not expecting to have to cycle this aquarium but it looks to me like it is at the beginning of the cycle. Did I kill the bacteria in the filter buy putting it in my 10 gallon? It was a challenge getting this filter set up in the 10 gallon without too much current.

Most of the reading I do says to put no more than 4 fish into the aquarium at a time. I would like to add each groupe of fish all at once starting with the tiger barbs followed by the loaches. Can I do this (when the tank is cycled) without hurting the fish? It seems to me it would be best for the fish to add each group together and cheaper for me.

All my information is gathered by me from the internet I would appreciate the opinions of people with practical knowledge. What would be the best way for me to proceed?

Thanks
    Mark

2. C

Charlaboo Valued Member Member

You may have reduced the bacterial collection my - they live on ammonia so if they weren't getting as much ammonia then some of it died off. You can put fish in, protect them with prime which detoxifies ammonia and nitrite and nitrate temporarily while you build the culture back up. But a bottle of tank buster or fluval cycle and add it in, it will bolster the colony quickly

3. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

I wouldn’t get barbs that aren’t in groups of at least 6, as they have a tendency to go pretty insane. As for putting the barbs in, I would make sure you have about eight before adding in any more species. Barbs are generally sort of hardy(I think, I’m not an expert on them) so you could do a fish cycle with them. All tanks require a cycling(that’s how you create the ecosystem). You could use tetra safestart or api QuickStart, though I would always use seachem prime when adding in new fish to a new tank(it helps detoxify the deadly chemicals, like ammonia, note, it doesn’t get rid of them) using a filter from an established aquarium is actually a pretty good idea, just make sure that it will be able to work in a 55 gallon(a filter that can filter a ten gallon might not be effective for a 55 gallon) I would recommend not putting Tetras and barbs in the same tank, as Tetras can get sort of nippy, and barbs can get pretty aggressive, but the loaches should work. I would invest in possibly a more calm fish than Tetras if you want barbs, most livebears could work for this position. I think you’re off to a good start!