Help starting a 150 gallon fish only tank?

ABN2

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys,

So I have recently decided I wanted to get into saltwater fish keeping, and could use some input on equipment selection. I have a 150 gallon tank and am not quite sure what to do for filters and protein skimmers. I have 2 wet/dry filters- an Amiracle Maxi Reef 400, and a Pro Clear Aquaticss Wet/Dry 75. I know it is not neccesary to run both of those (the MR 400 can handle the tank on its own just fine) but would running them both create any problems?

For mechanical filtration, I'm leaning towards the Eheim 2080. All the reviews I have read have suggested that Eheim is a class act and their products are top notch. The Fluval FX5 was intriguing but after researching it I came away with the impression that it may cause headaches.

I'm not sure what I want to use for a protein skimmer, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

Last edited:

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the protein skimmer id just search on here they are all reviewed.

The EHIEM filters are great from what I read and I personally have a FX5 that I love and works great for me.... I dont think that both wet dry filters would cause you a issue but IMO I'd onle run the 400 not much need for the other... opinions may vary though lol.... hope this helps

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, you don't need a canister filter. If you do purchase it, it will need to be cleaned every day or two and if not, it could become nitrate factories. When you look for a skimmer, don't look only on the reccomended aquarium sizes, but the type of skimmer and ammount of bubbles. The more bubbles, the better.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm assuming that your tank does not have internal overflows based on the MR400 having a HOB overflow. You only should run one of these and the MR400 is a good choice. You should not need to add mechanical filtration with this filter as it appears to have it already. You would just need to periodically change the filter media, which you'd also have to do with the canister filter if you used that, instead. Someone may correct me, but you could also just go with the Eheim as I believe it handles biological filtration, as well. If not you can always rely on your live rock for that.

As for the skimmer, if you go with the Eheim you'll need to get a hang on the back skimmer. If using the Wet/Dry then you can find one that fits in it. Always try to get twice the capacity skimmer as your tank - in your case, 300 gl.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom