Help: sponge filters?

1. fishlee01 Member Member

Hello people of the world!
    Im looking into getting one or two sponge filters for my compressiceps tank, 33G. My reason for this is that my two fluval u4's are becoming more noisy. This i because i use aragamax sugar sand to keep my ph buffered and is a necessity in my tank. My theory is that a sponge filter or two would allow sufficient filtration with less risk of the substrate accessing the motor/propeller causing the noise.

My questions are:

what type of sponge filters do you know of that are compatible with powerheads?

How can i in corporate my bio media into them (ceramic rings)?

Any advice welcome,
    Thank you.

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Are the filters you currently have damaged beyond repair? It just be that sand got to the impellers and damaged it, if so, you may be able to just replace the impellers, cheaper than buying new filters. Also you can put nylon stocking around the intake siphon to keep sand from getting sucked into the filter.

3. fishlee01 Member Member

The filters have only been in 2 months. I believe they are just not 'right for the job' even then i take them out and clean the imepllers they make the same grating noise. The sugar sand is literally like icing sugar. And forms a fine coating on the filters when disturbed

4. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Ok then...since you are worried about the icing affect, may I suggest an Eheim 2215/2217. This is a filter that I am going to go with (2217). My reason for this filter, (if I'm wrong, others will correct me) is the same as yours. I'm worried that the sand will damage the motor or impellers. With the Eheim, the water goes to the bottom of the filter, and bypasses the motor, and only the filtered water is in contact with the motor. Same as with the impeller.

5. fishlee01 Member Member

Thanks man, ill look into that make and model.
    I stayed away from eheim because of their green colour but function over fashion i suppose. Thanks again.

6. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

You are welcome. I'm not a fan of the color as well. I've thought about changing out the tube and getting clear ones. Even thought about getting glass tube for the in/out takes.
    I just saw the 2217 on Ebay for 143$, media included.