Help SOS discus on the lean (slightly)????

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so I have an issue with my Flachen discus and need some advice, he has began to turn ever so slightly on his/her side and is turning a bit dark. Now he is my third addition I have had him a week today, the other three seem just fine and even my newest addition the Red Marlboro is doing fine. Let me tell you a bit more he is prob the largest one I have I am guessing 3 inches probably. He ate from my hand yesterday in fact he is the only one who will rite now after this I waited a good while then I did about a 40% WC like normal added me decholinator and checked my water levels. All my levels are fine aside from a small nitrite spike which I took care of adding a bit extra dechlorinator and that took care of that, I am going to remove the carbon which is only two weeks old, as per our conversations on carbon I am not using it anymore in that tank any way.
I always make sure that my rep[lacement water is very close in temp as the tank water and I never had any issues doing a WC thus far but after the feeding and WC is when I noticed this strange behavior. I plan on using some zeolite or something else in place of the carbon tempoprairly to help with the nitrite spike and in addition to the coarse sponge and ceramic rings I will add some extra BIO material such as BIO balls or some ore ceramic rings in the canister filter to aid in supporting a larger colony of benifical bacteria. I am using a cascade 1000 filter with three media baskets which is rated for a 100 gallon tank I am of course running it on my 55 gallon with spray bar.
I read about swim baldder problems and it would seem that they would be displaying some boobing up and down trouble staying at one lever slanting when swimming and so forth. My guy is not doing this….. yet so I thought maybe constipation as I maybe over feeding them and seeing how he is a bit larger than the other he may not need to be fed as much as my other juvis???
I usually feed them about 4 – 5 times a day maybe this is to much and causing him to be constipated? I read about how a fresh skinned and chopped pea could be the answer?
I do not see any white poop hanging off of any of them no hazy eyes and nothing else visible on the surface I cant really tell if his belly is bloated or not I want to say no I can not tell I do not think that it is?
So hopefully this is enough info for you guys to help me out, oh I feed all frozen food, blood worms mostly and some formula for discus which has a whole bunch of good stuff in it and that’s pretty much it so any thoughts?
Feeding to much can I cut back on there feeding any way maybe they don’t need feed that much sense their not babies any more?
And I use those cubes how many cubes per feed for 4 fish how about 5 or 6 fish were I plan on maxing out with I have been giving them one and a half cubes thus far too much you think? Maybe scale it back too 3 feeds a day at one cube? And what about when I get two more to finish my collection?
I need some help here on this one try to be as specific as possible so I can follow the directions to the letter. And what about the fresh pea Idea culd he be constipated?

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would cut down on food but if there is food left on the bottom of the tank i think that means that they are full. with my baby's i shook the bloodworn then if they 6 what fell of then i shook it agen and when they stopped eating thats about how much i feed them now i only feed my baby's like 3 times a day. hope this helps a lil bit but otherwise im clueless lol.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I hear you so I will prob give like one cube three times a day and a cube of diferent things each time but I really got to get this leaning thing taken care of I really do not want to loose him.

is any one out there going to help me out with this? tahnk you I really need some expertise on this.

Hello. I merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just general questions here, what was the "small" nitrite spike exactly? How frequent were your water changes prior to the notice of the spike, and how long has the tank been established?

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is he actually eating and swallowing or taking it and spitting it back out? Do you notice him getting thinner (usually starts at the stomach area and in the forehead)? Is he leaning constantly?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon Fish Monster,

Sorry to hear about your Discus issues. I hope things turn out for the best. I didn't have such good luck years ago with Discus. When they began to lean and or turn dark it was never a good sign and usually ended up loosing the fish.

If you would be so kind as to update your Aquarium Profile information it will be a great help. As it is it states that you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle. The information you can provide will be really helpful in diagnosing the issues.
You can access the information by clicking on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Information.

Best wishes for your fish!
Ken

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is he actually eating and swallowing or taking it and spitting it back out? Do you notice him getting thinner (usually starts at the stomach area and in the forehead)? Is he leaning constantly?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, my mother has been in the hossp for over a week and I had to rush my wife in the other night for something my wife is home now but my mother is still in. So here is an update on my discus, the Flachen discus has turned around and has been fine now I just do not understand it the leaning thing stoped it was never constant to begin with and he is not dark any more he looks they way he did when I bought him. In comparison to the other fish he is the bigest he does not bully however and yes he eats it spits it out then eats it again and swolls he even started to eat out of my hand again. I do water changes about over other day at 40 - 45% and the nitrie spike is at a .5 and I ma still having issues lowering it. I can not understand why I have a fully stocked 30 gallon that has a nitrie level of 0 and I only change its water 40% once a week on Saturdays. I bought more BIO material in the form of ceramic rings I basically doubled my BIO materail which should support twice the bacteria colony I had and my tank has been running now 8 weeks.

I wonder if I could be doing to many water changes and killing my bacteria colony?

I removed the carbon and all I use now is filter floss and the BIO material, funny thing is him getting better if you can call it that I am not sure he was sick to begin with but it seemed to coinside with me removing the carbon, weired huh? but the other discus seemed to be fine throughout the whole thing though.

I did get a chance to look at their poop really good it is not white it looks normal to me based off of what I hear it should look like in fact it looks like what they have been eating he is definately not geting thiner he has a nice thick fore head, no bloating of the tummy I mean I looked at him and the other fish all but with a micro scope for a couple of hours.

But like I said he is totally diferent now maybe he was un sure of the new tank mate? the Red Marb I added or me taking out the carbon had something to do with it, who knows?

Even thought he tank has only been running for for about 8 weeks I used water from an established 30 and 14 gallon to start it with and that took the water level almost half way and I had established my canister filter on my 30 gallon for about 5 weeks prior to even getting the 55 gallon so I know the filter had been aged as well.

Based of my levels my tank was already cycled from the start and I still waited two weeks prior to buying any discus I hjad a cory cat and a small sucker in there to keep the filter feed for the two weeks.

I use a dechlorinator every time and I add slightly more than whats recomended just to be sure I am killing or netrulizing all the chlorine and chlorimines so I am not sure why I can not get the nitrites to 0 I vacume every day now for the last couple of weeks and I have been doing daily 40% water changes for about a week and a half, I just wonder if I could be doing to many? hurting my BIO filtration colony's"??

Oh and PH is a steady 6.5 heat is at 85.5 I bought a LCD digital coralife therm the other day Ilove it especially for water changes I can get the water temp exact of and my GH is at 5 so I dont get it guys help me out here with the nitrite issue and I guess all is well with the flachen I guess it was something else bothering him/her maybe he is mature enough to spawn and no one else is and he was frustrated witht hat he is the largest in there maybe 3 - 4 inches I would guess?

So I hope that enough info to help me out and help you all help me figure out?? what was and what is going on? Oh and there poop all looks the same as the others so its not a parasite or anything like that and nothing visible I think it was some kind of enviroment thing going on here or a maturity thing?? but there poop was on the darker side and they all had the same color and shape and all so I dont know what to say but here lately its the nitrites that are killing me I mean 0 on my 30 gallon and trust me it is at max load and on my 55 gallon I am no were near max at all so I am thinking the WC are hurting my BIO filter but what do you think??

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water changes won't kill off your beneficial bacteria. Water changes are the best thing you can do for young discus IMO. I suspect the issue is the heavy feedings that you have to do. If you're having trouble keeping nitrite down, I would suggest more frequent water changes.

Also, have you compared the reading from the digital thermometer to a regular glass one? I have several of those Coralifes and I don't trust the readings from any of them. They all read differently than each other (even in the same tank), and they all read differently than the glass ones I have. Your temp may not be what you think.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I had actually compared it to my glass thermometer and it is only off by a degree, those coralifes do say on the package they have a plus or negitive 1.5 degree variiation. I knew before I started using it that my water was just about at the 86 degree mark and my Coralife reads 85.1 degrees so it is very close but as I said theres a small tolerance of a degree and a half and I alwyas keep my temp on the higher side to be safe trust me the water is not cold at all. and I am not sure how many more water changes I can do as is I have been doing any where from 40 - 50% daily for the last week and a half. Any guess on how I could do better my normal changes are 40% three times a week so I did step it up big time. Any thoughts on why my Flachen seem to make a turn around and start acting "normal" again? and my other discus never seemed to be acting any diferent from the start and I have had the cobalt now going on 5 weeks there nothing wrong with him either in fact I know he has grown I can tell. So has the other ones even my Red Marb that I have only had for a little over a week seems to be a bit stronger than what he was. his clors seemed to have filled in a bit more too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom