Help Sorting + Stocking Nano Tanks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by wrs2, Jun 15, 2018.

1. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

Now I need to preface that I know how to stock a tank but I am SO indecisive that I really am not sure what I want to do with my tanks so I need some helping me sort out my ideas into what would work best!

I have a 10 gallon and 2 5.5 gallons at the moment which house my community nano fish.
    Over the summer (which I can't be happy enough starts next week!!) I want to upgrade to a 20 gallon L but after the hassle of moving my 3 tanks because of needing to cut open a wall due to a pipe leakage, I don't know if I can handle the stress of moving them fish again haha.

Here is what I have now in my community tanks... (not all in one mind you, just in total - and this doesn't include my other bettas who live alone)

1 female betta
    3 Harlequin Rasboras (they were the last 3 in my city and it's been 3 months and no store has stoked any since)
    3 male endlers
    1 female endler

So that's it, just 7 fish. I have some fry, but they don't need to be worried about yet as I will probably give them to a family member.

Now I wanted to get either...
    Ember Tetras
    A red flame dwarf gourami (one issue would be if I did do a 20, it would house the female betta and this wouldn't work)
    Or some type of nano rainbow fish

But I am thinking of doing either one nano tank with red fish OR koi patterned fish. If I go for Koi I would get a female koi betta, as themale are too expensive!

Any suggestions on how you all would house these fish or stock the tanks?
    I've always had larger tanks so those were easy to stock, but these are small so it's not the same!

TIA!
    :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

#1 priority:
    Like you mentioned Harlequin rasboras.
    #2 priority:
    You can get a bunch (+8) of ember tetras

#3. For betta and gourami to dwell together you will have to invest in plants (especially tall plants like valisneria, java ferns). Lots of them to break the line of sight. And yes it is possible. I have neons and betta together and have seen three male bettas in heavily planted long tank in my local area.

#4 endlers? Never kept them so i wont say anything about it.

#* if you have enough plants its easier for fish to hide from the aggressive one and better for us to stock.

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

A manager at Petco said that no one in the area has gotten them in as the breeder that sells to the local stores hasn’t had any viable batches lately. Not sure if it’s true or not but it would make sense! I wonder if I should just find them a different home at this point.

4. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

Yeah finding a new home also sounds nice. Check with your friends and in your neighborhood. There is always someone. Thats the beauty of common and easy to care fishes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice