Help - Something is eating my snake plant! / How do I replant a snake plant?

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, but I didn’t know which other one to put it in.

I’ve had my cylindrical snake plant for a couple of months now (I bought it from Safeway). At first I was over watering it because I didn’t know that you only have to water it a few times a year! I thought that it started dying because I was over watering it, but over the months more and more of the stems were dying, even though it was getting plenty of sunlight and no more water.
It was really weird to me because the cylindrical stems were dying, but a different type of snake plant was starting to grow!The other type of snake plant is thriving, but my cylindrical snake plant is not and when I looked closer I realized that something has buried into the soil. There’s all sort of tunnels in the soil and what I think are bite marks on the stems.
-Anyone know what this could be?

I’m planning on replanting and hopefully catching whatever is eating my plant.
-What soil should I use?
-Would miracle grow potting mix be okay?
-How big should the pot be?
-Is there any technique to replanting it?
(Sorry is this post is a little all over the place lol. I should really go to sleep.)

Pictures:
3A459C5F-6233-47E4-96CA-812E06B35611.jpeg
FD691ED4-5C74-4A8B-8455-7AACC07EC3FC.jpeg
278A7723-709B-4A5D-A296-1565A72D3E17.jpeg
A1BD6C42-6A94-418A-836F-836F714ADC44.jpeg
5334AF34-3580-4BC7-B4BD-DA30FBCECA9C.jpeg

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also have a snake plant so I was interested in what could possibly be going wrong. This is what I found from a website:
Insect Pests
Snake plant is prone to mealybugs and spider mite infestations. These pests suck sap from the plant, weakening it and causing small wounds and shedding of the leaves. Heavily infested plants are better off discarded because pest control would be lengthy and you risk infection of nearby plants. Handpicking mealybugs or dabbing them with alcohol can be an effective control method. Spider mites are best eliminated by washing them off the plant and increasing the humidity around the plant. For both pests, insecticidal and biological control is another possibility.
I also just re-potted mine and did regular potting soil with some horse manure (cousins have horses, so easy access for me :) ) for fertilizer. But I've read that they like gritty and sandy soil too because they don't like a lot of moisture and only water every 2-3 weeks or else it will get root rot- I have a habit of loving my plants too much with water. :D
Typically rule of thumb with up sizing a plant's pot (which I think in your case you should) I would go maybe an inch or 2 bigger like up one pot size if that makes sense. And you might already know this but when you re-pot it, clean off all the old soil from the roots and get it as free as possible so when you put it in the new soil it meshes in better and it's not all clumped up together. Hope that makes sense!

IMG_1510.jpg

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
I also have a snake plant so I was interested in what could possibly be going wrong. This is what I found from a website:

I also just re-potted mine and did regular potting soil with some horse manure (cousins have horses, so easy access for me :) ) for fertilizer. But I've read that they like gritty and sandy soil too because they don't like a lot of moisture and only water every 2-3 weeks or else it will get root rot- I have a habit of loving my plants too much with water. :D
Typically rule of thumb with up sizing a plant's pot (which I think in your case you should) I would go maybe an inch or 2 bigger like up one pot size if that makes sense. And you might already know this but when you re-pot it, clean off all the old soil from the roots and get it as free as possible so when you put it in the new soil it meshes in better and it's not all clumped up together. Hope that makes sense!

IMG_1510.jpg
Tysm! I did have mealybugs on some of my other plants, but my snake plant never was even close to those plants. Also whatever is killing my plant burrowed into the soil and I’m guessing is eating the roots. From the “tunnels” that are visible whatever it is, it’s looks like it might be half an inch big :confused:. I guess I’ll try to find it when I’ll replant my snake plant today and I’ll let you know if I find anything :).
Also thanks for the potting tips!

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
julifhy said:
Tysm! I did have mealybugs on some of my other plants, but my snake plant never was even close to those plants. Also whatever is killing my plant burrowed into the soil and I’m guessing is eating the roots. From the “tunnels” that are visible whatever it is, it’s looks like it might be half an inch big :confused:. I guess I’ll try to find it when I’ll replant my snake plant today and I’ll let you know if I find anything :).
Also thanks for the potting tips!
Yah I've had bugs on my plants before, so maybe they just found their way over? At least this plant leaves are easy to clean because they aren't as flimsy. Hopefully you can figure out what's burrowing down in there, I've also used Neems Oil (can get it in a spray at most garden centers) to get rid of some bugs on my outdoor plants that could help if the prior methods don't work.
Good luck :)

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
Yah I've had bugs on my plants before, so maybe they just found their way over? At least this plant leaves are easy to clean because they aren't as flimsy. Hopefully you can figure out what's burrowing down in there, I've also used Neems Oil (can get it in a spray at most garden centers) to get rid of some bugs on my outdoor plants that could help if the prior methods don't work.
Good luck :)
I used rubbing alcohol and soap lol. I used the running alcohol with a cotton swab to kill the mealybugs and some soap and water to gently wash off the sooty mood that came with the mealybugs. Not sure if that’s the best way of getting rid of them, but I read that it works and it definitely did. I usually don’t have problems with bugs either. Maybe the bug was already in the plant when I bought it? Not sure, but I definitely need to get rid of it.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update:
I replanted the snake plant, but there was no bugs. What ever was eating my plant has left a while ago. I also didn’t see any of the roots to be eaten. I guess I won’t know what it was, but hopefully now my snake plant will do much better. (I’ll attach some pictures later :))

New Threads