Help!! SO confused!!!

1. Tumeria33 Initiate Member

I recently won a tall 20 gallon tank and stand in a raffle. It is a Marlineland half moon. I am currently in the process of cycling the tank (fishless) from instructions I got on various web sites. I REALLY want a marble angel fish. I have been trying to do research on what other fish I can successfully keep with my angel. One fish store said that having only one angel fish in the tank would be fine. Another told me that they like to be with other angel fish and wouldn't do well as a single. Some web sites said NEVER keep angels and gouramis together as they will fight and pick on each other. That site recommended platys and mollies would get along fine. Today at Petco (went to look) a woman said the angel would eat the platys and mollies and to get gouramis!! She said she was an expert (very insistent) I am SO confused. I realize my tank is small and angel fish can grow to be a considerable size. If that means I can have only 1 or maybe 2 angels only in the tank, I am fine with that. If I can have 1 angel and a few other colorful fish that would be great too. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. I had a 10 gallon tank years ago so I am not a complete novice. That tank was pretty successful and even had a baby swordtail born in the tank which reached maturity. I did have gouramis in that tank as well. Everyone got along fine. I have always wanted an angel fish so it is important to me. Thanks.

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

*sigh* In my honest opinion, a 20 is too small for an angel. I dont think they have much preffernce on being in groups or alone. Gouramis and angles are a general no, the expert is a dud.

3. STLBluesFan Member Member

im not entirely sure if an angel fish would be good for just a 20 gallon tall tank, but just from experience. i dont think anyone at petco are experts, i have kept angels successfully with platies in a 55 gallo tank along with cories, most angels are rather peacful and the problems come from other fish nipping at the angels long fins.

4. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

angels get really big. dont let that quarter or half dollar size at the store make you think different. they actually never stop growing until they die. a 29 could house one. IMO id sell that tank and stand and get a 29.

5. Tumeria33 Initiate Member

Thanks for the fast reply! I just found a web site that said angelfish grow to be 4 to 6 inches. Is this true? My tank is very tall- 25 inches.

6. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i believe that is the length of them not the heigth.

7. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

how long is it? thats plenty high.

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that your tank could be used to grow out an angel fish however having seen that tank he wouldn't have much swimming space later on down the road. In that type of tank I would stock it with a bunch of tall thin leaved plants like Vals, and then add a BUNCH of small schooling fish, Cardinals, Harlaquin Rasboras, Rummy nose tetras, Danios, Bloodfin tetras, and so on, you get the idea. I think it would look really cool that way with all the plants you would have a very easy time of maintaining that tank.

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello!

+1 pirahnah3.

10. mishot Initiate Member

My angel dosnt touchanyof my other fish. Theyget along great

11. Tumeria33 Initiate Member

The tank dimensions are: 24" W x 13" D x 25" H
    I was awake most of the night contemplating. I really want an angel but if the tank isn't appropriate and my angel wouldn't thrive or be happy, then I don't want to put him/her through that. I am now thinking colorful mollies and platies and a couple of corys. I know some of those come in marble and I love the bright reds and yellows. I think they would make a very beautiful tank. I have a cave type center piece where they could swim in and out of. I know these are live bearers. Will they eat their offspring? Would all females work to prevent breeding? Thanks.

12. greenbeanette Member Member

Are you sure those dimensions are correct? If so, that is a 33g tank not a 20g tall. Usually 20g talls are 24x12x18". You might be able to go one angel if it is a 33g, although 40g+ would be better.

13. Tumeria33 Initiate Member

I took the dimensions right off the tank information sheet. OMG!! I just took a close look at the picture on the info sheet. There are two angelfish in the picture along with a few small fish. The tank looks big to me. Could it really be 33 gallon? I would be SO happy with even 1 angelfish!!

14. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

get the tape measurer out to be sure. i think it will be fine though as long as you fishless cycle first.

15. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Being a Half Moon tank, it isn't that easy to get the correct volume by measuring.

16. greenbeanette Member Member

It's a half-moon? That cuts down the useable swimming space for an adult angel. I wouldn't put one in there, but wait to see what others say.

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Here is a link to the marine land site with that tank

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/detail.aspx?id=4386

This tank you would have to think of as a VERY bowed 20gal tank, while it makes for a great cubic footage tank (i.e. it has a small footprint) it also makes is a very small tank to stock as far as swimming goes.

Personally here is another thought for you, get your feet "wet" with this tank get familiar with some of the smaller fish and some plants, a 20 would be a great way to get into the planted tanks.

Then when you get a good understanding of the fish and whatnot upgrade yourself to a 29gal or larger tank, preferably a 40 or even better a 55 gal. Then get yourself a nice Marble angel fish (or two if you go the 55 or larger route) and you can then breed them and use the 20gal to grow out the fry in. This way you can really enjoy the fruits of the hobby and hopefully be able to sell some of the babies to make some money back on your purchases.