HELP! Smells like mildew, growing in my tank

FransiscanRelict

Reaction score
Im extremely worried, no idea what this stuff is but I feel like I almost passed out when I took a direct whiff of this scum I just scraped off--smells overpoweringly like mildew, which I know we do have some of in my house...but I have a 30 gallon tank in my room that has never had any of this stuff, ever.. same water, everything. 8 ft apart. Please, help, I just did a 50% water change and scraped some off the sides while it was exposed above water, and took these pictures. All my nitrates/nitrites, ammonia have been low this past week, clean water from a fluval 207 canister filter, just for this small 20gallon fluval flex..

Attachments

OP
FransiscanRelict

FransiscanRelict

Reaction score
The growth pattern looks alot more like mildew to me, but mainly, the smell is unmistakable, like neurotoxic / heady almost. Also, this isn't fluffy/freefloating at all from what I can see, just on the tank walls and a little slime on a piece of mopani

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its above the waterline i would think it some kind if mold or mildew

OP
FransiscanRelict

FransiscanRelict

Reaction score
smee82 said:
If its above the waterline i would think it some kind if mold or mildew
It's not, it's all down the sides of the tank, but more concentrated at the top near the water line.. definetly these little dots like, halfway down into the tank and lower. I took this picture of it exposed out of water while I did a WC/wiped the corners down, there hasn't been any period of time when the tank hasn't had water in it.. lots of aeration though

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FransiscanRelict said:
It's not, it's all down the sides of the tank, but more concentrated at the top near the water line.. definetly these little dots like, halfway down into the tank and lower. I took this picture above the water just to help ID it
Are there any Nerite snails in the tank?

OP
FransiscanRelict

FransiscanRelict

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
Are there any Nerite snails in the tank?
Nope, just these corys. It's not eggs or anything, because this 'film' or fungus or whatever is even on the enclosed back areas where livestock can't access (on the fluval flex, its like for housing the stock filter and stuff, which im not using.) It seems to just be something in the water or that I didnt properly remove when I prepped the tank.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FransiscanRelict said:
Nope, just these corys. It's not eggs or anything, because this 'film' or fungus or whatever is even on the enclosed back areas where livestock can't access (on the fluval flex, its like for housing the stock filter and stuff, which im not using.) It seems to just be something in the water or that I didnt properly remove when I prepped the tank.
It’s hard to tell from your pictures, but I was thinking maybe Nerite snail eggs.

Have you tried scrubbing it off your tank and the using carbon to see if it takes the smell away?

OP
FransiscanRelict

FransiscanRelict

Reaction score
From the smell of it, just really seems like it;s some kind of particularly virulent/unusual type of mildew that can survive underwater maybe? Out of my depth here..

New Threads