Help Sick Platy

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Syl, May 15, 2019.

1. Syl

SylNew MemberMember

Help sick platy

Hello all, I'm new here and have been keeping fish for a year now however I have not been great at it!!! I have a sick platy fish and I cant figure out what is wrong with him.

Can anyone here please help me?

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 90 litres
    How long has the tank been running? 14 months
    Does it have a filter? Fluval 206
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 23
    What is the entire stocking of this tank?
    7 platy
    6 white cloud mountain minnows
    15 cherry shrimp
    4 amano shrimp
    3 nerite snails

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Weekly
    How much of the water do you change?20%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I didn't but it is cycled now
    What do you use to test the water? Api master
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:5-10
    pH: 7.7

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish? A pinch of new life spectrum flakes and tetra micro pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? As above but also repashy and veg
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods sometimes frozen brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 12 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few months ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? His gills look swollen and puffy, his breathing is fast and he is hiding. He comes up for food but lately he is spitting it out. He is now in a quarantine tank and I dont know what to do.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes as above

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    So this started a few months ago, I treated with esha 2000 which is a bacteria fungus and fin rot along with esha gdex which is for flukes. This stopped the heavy breathing and be seemed to be fine. It only stays away for a few weeks and then comes back again, the esha was helping but it isn't anymore and I am at a loss and really badly need some help, I want to figure out what this is and make him better, please any help at all would be wonderful x
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you are not aware of what the aquarium nitrogen cycle is, then please read about it here!
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    Important - Important Cycling Information

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

If all of the other tankmates & Crustaceans are doing okay, then maybe the Platy is just going through a natural decline due to aging. They aren't a particularly long lived fish, maybe a three year avg. life span under good conditions. Some don't make it to three.
    It looks like you've touched all bases regarding medication and your water maintenence routine looks great. You might try upping your WC's to 50% each week. Thats what I do and it seems to ensure pristine water parameters & healthy fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Syl

SylNew MemberMember

Thanks for answering me, I was hoping that would not be the answer!!

I did change the treatment to paraguard tonight just as a last resort, a few minutes after this went in he started to flash like crazy and then hid!!!

I used paraguard as I noticed the others in the main tank started spitting out their food too, I did this last night and today they are eating normally again, it was the same type of food.

I think there is something in my tank and I dont know what it is, could it be a parasite that is causing this?

Oh yes and I have had a spat of shrimp dying off on me too

And I have seen one of the other fish in the main tank really scratch his body on the star fish ornament

Thank for the advice on the water change, I will most certainly up it

Sorry just learning to use this site so please forgive me!
    Thanks for answering me, I was hoping that would not be the answer!!

I did change the treatment to paraguardtonight just as a last resort, a few minutes after this went in he started to flash like crazy and then hid!!!

I used paraguard as I noticed the others in the main tank started spitting out their food too, I did this last night and today they are eating normally again, it was the same type of food.

I think there is something in my tank and I dont know what it is, could it be a parasitethat is causing this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  4. A201

You can rule out a bacterial infection, or Oodinium, all would be dead by now. Ich would be visible, and gill flukes would have been eliminated by the meds. Since the fish are eating but spitting out the food; thats a symptom of intestinal parasites.
    If nothing else works try Seachem's "Metroplex" it can be mixed into the food and is not a danger to the benificial bacteria in the tank & filter media.
    Don't get discouraged, once this all levels out, and you start doing the larger WC's, fish diseases won't occur very often.

5. OP
    OP
    Syl

SylNew MemberMember

I did use lavisole not the right spelling I know lol would that not have done the same thing?

6. A201

Yes, it would have. You are really limited to what meds you can use due to the Shrimp & Snails. I believe your only recourse is the noted big weekly WC, careful feeding, and remove any fish showing symptoms of disease asap. This hobby gets easier & more enjoyable as you go along. Considering all the obstacles you're having to conquer, you'll be an expert in no time. Lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Syl

SylNew MemberMember

I have the sick fish in a separate tank so I didn't have to worry about the shrimp, is there anything else I can try giving that the shrimp aren't in with him?

I have the sick fish in a separate tank so I didn't have to worry about the shrimp, is there anything else I can try giving that the shrimp aren't in with him?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  8. A201

I've successfully used Coppersafe & Formalin to treat parasites. You usually need to dose Coppersafe only once during the treatment period. Formalin requires redosing during the treatment period due to the product evaporating.
    Cuprimine is another copper based med, but it requires redosing during treatment.