Question HELP!! Sick Guppy and Potentially Sick Tetra, 1 month

GuppyandGlofish

Reaction score
I am new to fish keeping, and have recently run into problems with the guppy and Glofish tetra I bought about a month ago.

What is the water volume of the tank?
Water volume of tank is probably a gallon or more.
How long has the tank been running?
I’ve had this tank for years, little less than a decade, but never had problems
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
Around 70 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
One tuxedo guppy and one Glofish tetra.
How often do you change the water?
At first, one every two weeks, now it’s every week.
How much of the water do you change?
A third to a half of the water
What do you use to treat your water?
Topfin water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum the substrate very thoroughly.

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
I did not have the knowledge to do so upon getting the fish, and now I do not believe I have the equipment needed to test and treat water outside of water conditioner.
How often do you feed your fish?
At first it was twice a day, now it’s once a day.
How much do you feed your fish?
At first it was probably a fourth of a teaspoon, now I’m doing around an eighth of a teaspoon.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
A fresh English pea for the guppy and betta fish flakes for the tetra.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
The flakes contain freeze-dried brine.
How long have you had this fish?
About a month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
A week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Initially noticed the guppy having mild bloating, followed by a poo string hangin off of him. Upon closer inspection his head and back are also covered in brownish goldish coloring that I don't believe was there before. Then just last night the guppy passed a very large, long bowel movement, that was solid but white and brown speckle.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I began feeding the guppy peas to treat the bloating, but otherwise I have been hesitant to do anything.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
I don’t believe so, they both seemed healthy.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Both the guppy and the tetra had brief phases of being uninterested by food, probably do to me over feeding them initially, but they both recovered quickly. Afterwards, the guppy was lethargic for a day or two before the bloating began, but since the bloating has been active on a typical level. The brownish substance on his head showed up around the time the bloating became obvious and I noticed the thin poo strings on the guppy. The tetra has been completely normal except that I have noticed particularly shiny gold spots on him recently, that I’m beginning to worry is velvet that he caught from the guppy. Regardless, they both continue to swim around as usual with no clamping as far as I’ve noticed.

I’ve included pictures in hopes that someone might tell me if this looks like velvet or not. The pictures of the tetra are very hard to tell, so I’ll update with better images if need be.

Attachments

Best Answer - View SilverLake's answer

rageinred

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While I do not know about wether they have velvet, I cam tell you that you have some serious issues with your tank. First of all 1 gallon is not big enough for your fish. Secondly, your tank is too cold for your tropical fish. Third, these are not betta, so you should be feeding them tropical fish food not betta food. And fourth both the fish you have in there are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of the same kind of fish. Being solo and in such a small space your fish will not thrive, will become stressed, which will eventually lead to sickness and death. I hope this helps.

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
GuppyandGlofish said:
I am new to fish keeping, and have recently run into problems with the guppy and Glofish tetra I bought about a month ago.

What is the water volume of the tank?
Water volume of tank is probably a gallon or more.
How long has the tank been running?
I’ve had this tank for years, little less than a decade, but never had problems
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
Around 70 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
One tuxedo guppy and one Glofish tetra.
How often do you change the water?
At first, one every two weeks, now it’s every week.
How much of the water do you change?
A third to a half of the water
What do you use to treat your water?
Topfin water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum the substrate very thoroughly.

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
I did not have the knowledge to do so upon getting the fish, and now I do not believe I have the equipment needed to test and treat water outside of water conditioner.
How often do you feed your fish?
At first it was twice a day, now it’s once a day.
How much do you feed your fish?
At first it was probably a fourth of a teaspoon, now I’m doing around an eighth of a teaspoon.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
A fresh English pea for the guppy and betta fish flakes for the tetra.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
The flakes contain freeze-dried brine.
How long have you had this fish?
About a month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
A week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Initially noticed the guppy having mild bloating, followed by a poo string hangin off of him. Upon closer inspection his head and back are also covered in brownish goldish coloring that I don't believe was there before. Then just last night the guppy passed a very large, long bowel movement, that was solid but white and brown speckle.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I began feeding the guppy peas to treat the bloating, but otherwise I have been hesitant to do anything.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
I don’t believe so, they both seemed healthy.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Both the guppy and the tetra had brief phases of being uninterested by food, probably do to me over feeding them initially, but they both recovered quickly. Afterwards, the guppy was lethargic for a day or two before the bloating began, but since the bloating has been active on a typical level. The brownish substance on his head showed up around the time the bloating became obvious and I noticed the thin poo strings on the guppy. The tetra has been completely normal except that I have noticed particularly shiny gold spots on him recently, that I’m beginning to worry is velvet that he caught from the guppy. Regardless, they both continue to swim around as usual with no clamping as far as I’ve noticed.

I’ve included pictures in hopes that someone might tell me if this looks like velvet or not. The pictures of the tetra are very hard to tell, so I’ll update with better images if need be.
Not to be the fish police but your tank is incredibly small, along with the fish you house are schooling fish,I'd check FB market place and other buy/sell sites for cheap or free aquariums. Your fish are most likely stressed which would cause abnormal behavior. Hope this helps.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
I agree with both things said above. It’s incredibly hard to diagnose and treat fish when they are not in adequate conditions. I would seriously look into upgrading the setup or re-homing the fish. At minimum you need to get a heater ASAP but there’s not much more I suggest if your not willing to upgrade to an adequate setup since your tank conditions will be working against any treatment.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is a lot wrong with that tank...
Just to clarify, is the tank a month old or years?
If the tank is years, or even moths old and has been stocked, then it is cycled, tho you should really get a good test kit to check the parameters. If it is a month old, you may have put the fish though a fish in cycle without knowing it, and I'm impressed they're doing this well.
But either way, 1 gallon is way too small to house much more then shrimp or snails.
As rageinred said, both of the fish you have in there are schooling fish, they should really be in groups of at least 5/6. 70° is too cold for them to be happy, and the cold water can easily lead to them getting sick.

To answer your question, it doesn't appear that the glowfish has velvet, no, but the tank should probably be treated for it, especially if the guppy did.

OP
GuppyandGlofish

GuppyandGlofish

Reaction score
SilverLake said:
There is a lot wrong with that tank...
Just to clarify, is the tank a month old or years?
If the tank is years, or even moths old and has been stocked, then it is cycled, tho you should really get a good test kit to check the parameters. If it is a month old, you may have put the fish though a fish in cycle without knowing it, and I'm impressed they're doing this well.
But either way, 1 gallon is way too small to house much more then shrimp or snails.
As rageinred said, both of the fish you have in there are schooling fish, they should really be in groups of at least 5/6. 70° is too cold for them to be happy, and the cold water can easily lead to them getting sick.

To answer your question, it doesn't appear that the glowfish has velvet, no, but the tank should probably be treated for it, especially if the guppy did.
Thank you, this is some really helpful stuff! The tank is years old, and is already cycled as you said, and it was originally bought to house snails and shrimp, as those are all I’ve ever kept before. As for the temperature, I was ball parking it as I can’t find my thermometer at the moment, but I’ll try to get a more accurate read on that in the morning. The recommended temp. for guppies Is 78 degrees correct? I’m glad that my Glofish doesn’t appear to have velvet, but would you say from the pictures that it appears my guppy does? No one has given me an answer on whether the discoloration on the guppies head looks like velvet or not. I intend to get treatment for it as you said. Thanks again, your explanations were very easy to understand and helping me moving forward!

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
GuppyandGlofish said:
Thank you, this is some really helpful stuff! The tank is years old, and is already cycled as you said, and it was originally bought to house snails and shrimp, as those are all I’ve ever kept before. As for the temperature, I was ball parking it as I can’t find my thermometer at the moment, but I’ll try to get a more accurate read on that in the morning. The recommended temp. for guppies Is 78 degrees correct? I’m glad that my Glofish doesn’t appear to have velvet, but would you say from the pictures that it appears my guppy does? No one has given me an answer on whether the discoloration on the guppies head looks like velvet or not. I intend to get treatment for it as you said. Thanks again, your explanations were very easy to understand and helping me moving forward!
Can you confirm the tank is around 1 gallon? And is there a heater in the tank?

OP
GuppyandGlofish

GuppyandGlofish

Reaction score
rageinred said:
While I do not know about wether they have velvet, I cam tell you that you have some serious issues with your tank. First of all 1 gallon is not big enough for your fish. Secondly, your tank is too cold for your tropical fish. Third, these are not betta, so you should be feeding them tropical fish food not betta food. And fourth both the fish you have in there are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of the same kind of fish. Being solo and in such a small space your fish will not thrive, will become stressed, which will eventually lead to sickness and death. I hope this helps.
According to this forum post: Guppy care , betta food is completely safe and even recommended to feed to guppies, and it is the only food I could get the tetra to eat. I appreciate you pointing out some of these problems though.

FreshwaterHG said:
Can you confirm the tank is around 1 gallon? And is there a heater in the tank?
It is around a gallon yes, and there is no heater as far as I can figure. The tank was originally made for shrimp and snails, as I said. Do you know if the discoloration in the guppy looks like velvet?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nobody's committing to diagnosing velvet because it's almost impossible in a photograph. Diagnosing a disease in a guppy is usually nothing more than an educated guess. Certain diseases like ich can be diagnosed pretty easily, but most problems are a matter of putting together clues and coming up with the most likely cause.

The info on this thread is good. It's up to you to take that information and do your own research and come to your own conclusions. If people start diagnosing the problem, you're likely to get 15 different answers.

I'd recommend Googling "guppy velvet" and looking at images to see for yourself what it looks like. As you go through the process, you'll keep learning forever.

New Threads