Help Sick Gourami Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by karl hazlehurst, Apr 17, 2018.

1. k

karl hazlehurst New Member Member

Hi I have a sick gourami and am looking for advice as to what is going on with it. It’s tail has split and looks like a bone sticking out. Some fins have turned black. Thanks

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Can you post a pic please??

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Your profile doesn't state if you know the nitrogen cycle, so look into ammonia burns, it causes degredation and black marks on the body and fins. Even if you don't think this is the cause, do a large water change. It could also be finrot, which can be treated with daily 50% water changes for a few weeks in mild cases, and in more severe cases antibiotics like macryn 2 or kanaplex work well

4. OP
    OP
    k

Hi I’ve just put a ammonia test on. How do I post a picture on here? I tried and it says image sharing disabled thanks

5. Rtessy

Can you press the "upload a file" thingy? It should have an option to upload pictures there. What kind of ammonia test, liquid or strips?

6. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Huh? That is odd...

Go to aquarium photos and press "add photo" then tag me and @Rtessy in it

7. OP
    OP
    k

Right it’s definitely ammonia what’s the next step?

8. Rtessy

It could be insufficient postings, I think you do have to post three times to upload anything

9. OP
    OP
    k

Nice one

10. Rtessy

Immediatly do a 50% water change if it is 2ppm or below, make sure to match temp and all, if it is 4ppm or more do a more aggressive 60-75%. What is the exact reading, and what type of test? What brand? Strips or liquid? If you have prime, do a double dose after the water change if it gets below 1ppm.

11. OP
    OP
    k

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  12. Rtessy

Ah ok I see. Whatever you do, do NOT use melafix. It can actually kill labyrinth fish like gourami, and they don't even put a label on it! Do a 75% water change today, and add ammo lock. This will get the ammonia down to ~3. Tomorrow do a 50%, the next day a 50% and add ammo lock again if it is above 1ppm. Continue daily 50% changes until it is between 0 and .25. Also, that's a really beautiful tank and really pretty fish. Do you know what's causing the ammonia? Is it just not cycled?

13. OP
    OP
    k

I think it might be that I put a new filter in I left both running for a few hours then took the old one out. I will follow your advice thanks it has been running since January

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged

15. Rtessy

Ok, yes you're going through the nitrogen cycle. About 95% of the bacteria that keep the cycle alive are in the filter media. Next time you change filters, move the old media to the new one. I ask because you will now have to do a fish-in cycle, but I can help with that. It's pretty tedious, you'll have to do daily 15-25% water changed to keep ammonia below .25, and it'll take a few weeks :(

16. OP
    OP
    k

The only problem was that they were different old one was juwel bio one new one is Eheim pick up 160

Right I’m off to start changing water it’s going to take a bit of time it’s a 70 litre thanks for all your help I’ll keep in touch!

17. Rtessy

I think you can also just drop the media to the bottom of the tank for a few weeks as well, but it is better to try and cut it to fit. I'm not familiar with the two filters, so I don't know if that would have been possible.

18. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

Agreed, the quality of the filter doesn't determine the short term biological filtration success. Even with the best canister filter out there it will be completely ineffective at removing Ammonia and Nitrite until it has been colonized by bacteria. I'd try to fit the old media in there or reset-up the old filter and let both run for a while.

19. OP
    OP
    k

Thanks I’ll put it back in now it’s been out 3 days but the sponge is still wet

Feed as usual?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  20. Rtessy

That should still help! Good luck, and keep us updated!
    Edit: skip a day of feeding and feed a bit less

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice