Help! Sick Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Danirae, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Danirae

Danirae Valued Member Member

i had 2 common goldfish in a 55 gallon. The smallest one got a small pock on its side that almost looked a little white and then 2 days later he was dead. Now my other goldfish has several pocks on his side. Does anyone know what this is or what I should do about it?

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Can you get a pic? What size tank and what is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

3. OP
    OP
    Danirae

I’m almost certain It is ick after reading about it. It started with the air gulping that I thought was constipation so I started giving them peas. But then it turned into the white spots. It’s a 55 gallon aquarium with one common goldfish it in it now. Yesterday my ammonia was zero. I did a 75% water change using Prime as a conditioner and treated tank with API super ick cure. That was the only thing I could buy in the store near me. And I took the charcoal out of the filters that had it. Today my ammonia is 0.5ppm, pH 7.4-7.6, Nitrite 0, and nitrate between 0-5ppm. I have Seachem treatment for ick arriving in the mail today. I ha e not had ammonia in this tank for a long time. It must be because I removed the charcoal. Amazingly I don’t see white spots on the fish I have left. But he definitely had them yesterday. What should I do? Do I need to do another 75% water change because of the ammonia?

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Can you send the pic to make sure it’s ich?

If you treat randomly without a diagnosis, it will not be good. Like if you take an Advil for no reason.

5. OP
    OP
    Danirae

4DCCFE39-38C1-4704-B108-DF8B8DD8E80B.jpeg B0094825-CD24-4E8D-B23A-23AF64CAF833.jpeg 4C78BF0B-07F0-4B82-8B70-2DD57E5499A2.jpeg 0EDC8F89-A42F-4348-BB4B-ECD07C8EAA20.jpeg

He won’t stay still for me so here’s what I could come up with as far as pics. I don’t see anymore white spots on him but I swear they were there yesterday. Should I do a water change or dose with Prime for ammonia?

And the one that died had a white spot. They both had been gulping for air for the past couple of weeks. I e seen him gulp for air twice today. And he is certainly not as active as he usually is. Before I did anything to the water 2 days ago I gave him broccoli soaked in garlic, which is his favorite and he didn’t touch it. He has been eating pellets tho.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
  6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see any signs of ich...though it does look malnourished. What kind of filter are you running? How old is this tank?

7. OP
    OP
    Danirae

image.jpg

That is what I think is ick on my decoration log.

I bought the tank used and it’s been set up for about a year. I have an aquar clear 110 and a penguin bio wheel 200 running in it

So malnourished? Do I need to feed him more? I feed him peas and broccoli and new life spectrum goldfish pellets and I usually put vita chem in the water after I do a water change.

image.jpg
    Here’s some more

I can see one on my snail too. I have 3 nerite snails

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Danirae

So after seeing all the pictures what do you guys think this is? My fish is not swimming around happy and I’ve already lost a fish. There are no more spots on my fish 24 hours after ick treatment but there are white spots (egg looking) on my decorations. What do I do? I don’t want to loose my last fish!

9. Goldiemom

Could your snail be laying eggs? You can’t see ich on decorations.

10. OP
    OP
    Danirae

I don’t know. But if that’s true then why did my fish die and my other fish is lethargic

11. Goldiemom

His scales seem to be lifting in one pic. Does he look like his scales are pineconing like in dropsy?

I’m wondering if it could be a parasite. @Gypsy13, can you help? Goldie looks like it has a white area with some pimple looking dots. It’s not ich. He also seems to have some scales raising.

12. OP
    OP
    Danirae

Somebody else said maybe it’s dropsy? I just know I saw a white bump on my fish and then he died and then I saw several white spots on the remaining that went away after 24hrs of ick treatment and now there are those egg looking spots on my decorations and my fish is lethargic. I don’t know what to do

13. Goldiemom

I’m 99% sure those spots are eggs. I think it’s 2 different issues. Ich spots are spores that grow on the fish. Once they burst and fall to the gravel they are no longer spots. The spots must feed off a fish, not a decoration. They are 100% not ich spores. Hopefully, @Gypsy13 will be on later to help out. You can treat for dropsy by placing the fish in a gallon of dechlorinated water with 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt. Leave the fish in for 2 minutes and then return him to tank. You can do this several times a day. Let’s see if Gypsy or anyone else has other one thoughts first though.

14. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey. Could someone give me a complete description of what this fish looks like? I’ve got one saying malnourished and then dropsy?
    Danirae, has anyone handled this fish?

15. Goldiemom

Hi, Gypsy! It is small for a single tail goldie over a year old. Not sure about it being malnourished. On its side back by his belly he has what looks like some white area or fungus in one pic. Another pic looks like his scales are raised some. I am completely puzzled.

16. Gypsy13

I’m not getting this at all. Has it been handled or netted and the scales damaged? Why does it look malnourished? How long has it not been eating? What killed the other one? Is there a fungal issue? I need more information.

Hey. Hubby says definitely looks malnourished and it’s right side shows signs of damage even to the gill plate. Do you see this as well?

Clear something for me? You first said pock yet in this post you say bump. Which was it? Thanks

17. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

The gill plates are a little red, hence I was thinking there might be an ammonia problem as well.

18. Gypsy13

Thank you. Very much.

I will wait for further information from the OP. Thanks everyone.

19. OP
    OP
    Danirae

04DFD084-DD67-49A5-B40D-DC826A8EABF7.jpeg
    And if he is malnourished what should I do about that?

The fish that died a one white bump on it. It was raised. The fish remaining have several white specks on him. What ick looks like. But they disappeared 24hrs after ick treatment. This morning he his begging for food and swimming around but yesterday he was lethargic. I did a 75% water change and ick treatment on Sunday. The ammonia was 0 before the change. But on Monday everything was good except ammonia at 0.5ppm. The only thing I can attribute it to is taking the activated carbon out of my filter. I dosed it with prime. I will do another water change today but am unsure of what to do otherwise. No spots on the fish but there are those spots on my decorations and people are saying he looks malnourished. Please help me. What should I do?

Attached Files:

20. Goldiemom

Feed him more. Maybe small portions of high quality food several times a day. What does his poop look like? If it’s white, then you may need to treat for parasites.

21. OP
    OP
    Danirae

His poop is brown and some that I cleaned out today was black but no white poop. I thought I was ha omg a problem with over feeding because there was so much waste and I had a heck of a time getting ammonia under control. I am gone 4 days a week for work and during that time my husband feeds him once every other day. I have good quality sinking pellets. When I’m here me I feed him twice a day. Usually pellets in the morning and broccoli in the evening. Sometimes squash or peas. I will have my husband start feeding him twice a day every day. My pellets are new life spectrum small goldfish pellets. Are those good?

I ha ent seen him gulp for air at all today. This all started with a lot of gulping for air. I can’t help but think that there was a parasite in play. I only dosed for ick once but things ha e changed for the better. I wonder if I should do a dose of Seachem Paraguard?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice