Help, Sick Fish with thrinking abdomen

pc8

Reaction score
I had a fish(Platty) die a few days ago. The fish was nomal. Then suddenly one morning, its abdomen thrunk to nothing. Appear hollow at the bottom and on the side. It died in a few hours. Today, I have another fish(Swordtail), appeard just like that. It ate food this morning. But I noticed that the abdomen became flat (Used to be curved). the abdomen get smaller as the day goes. The fins sticked together. It look very sick.

The only thing the two fish seem to have in common is that the Platty had one white spot on its tail a couple of weeks ago. I put in Ickcleaer, it desapeard. The fish seemed norman for a while. Then suddenly it was sick in the morning a die in the afternoon. The swordfail also had a white spot on the Dorsal fin first. I raised the water tempreture to 82 degree. The white spot desapeard. A few days later, another white spot appear on the tail fin(two days ago). I put in the Ickclear, the spot despeard. But this morning, it looked like the other fish seem to thrink over night. The fin stuck together. I seperated it it a bowl. and put some Pimafix. It seem to continue thrink thru the day.

I checked all the fish disease book and on line, never see any description of disease similar to this. I am afraid it is infectious and other fish will catch it too. I have checked water every few days. The Nitrate seem a bit high (between 40 to 80, cannot really distinquish the two colors in testing kit). I changed 25% of water, then again 25%, it does not seem to reduce the Nitrate level. Not sure if the test kit work properly. So far, I have not found other fish (about 12 more) had white spot.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Pc8

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your fish may have ich yet (the temperature needs to go to 85 degrees and stay there for 14 days but you need an airstone running if you don't have one already)

The wasting away worries me as it could be Fish TB and that is contagious and almost always fatal. Not only that but I do not know of any medication but Kanamycin that even claims to work on it.

I would try raising the temperature of the tank a degree every 2 hours or so until it reaches 85 and then leave it there for 2 weeks. If you need to do water changes please make sure the water temperature is close as possible to the tank temperature so you do not cool the tank down. Please do a 50% water change before you start to raise the temperature. It would be a very good idea to test the tap water right out of the faucet for Nitrates to see if the tap water is high in Nitrates. If it is you may have to do your water changes with Bottled SPRING WATER in the gallon jugs that have been warmed by sitting in warm water in the sink. The best way that I know of to get rid of high Nitrates is to get LIVE PLANTS for your tank as they use Nitrates for a type of fertilizer, but I would not do it until you have the sickness resolved. The nitrates will have to be dealt with though as they are high enough to kill your fish if you do not.

How long has your tank been set up? Have you cycled the filter and tank through the Nitrogen Cycle? What all fish do you have in there? What size is your tank? What are you feeding the fish and how much and how often? I know this is a lot of questions but it will help us to be able to help you if we can get the answers. Also what were the test levels for ammonia, and nitrites?

Thanks and welcome to Fishlore.com. We have people from many countries, of all ages, and having all kinds of interests (but mostly fish). Please feel free to browse a bit and question anything and comment where you would like to. We will try to help you.

Rose

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check out the post of mine here, and see if your fish seem to show any of the symptoms of TB I really hope that's not what it is. If the only symptom the fish are showing is weight loss, it could be some sort of internal parasites.

Because of the possibility of TB is is important that you separate any sick fish from the healthy ones, since the disease spreads by contact. Also be very careful handling sick fish.

I do not have enough enough info to know for sure what the disease is, but do be careful until we can diagnose it for sure.

Here is another thread by someone who had fish with TB...the last 2 posts contain the most info on TB

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i really dont want to scare you, but i read somewhere about someone who nearly lost their hand (or maybe they did..i'm not sure) by the tb the fish had, getting into a cut on the womans hand, just by her putting her hand in the tank water when doing tank maintenance. i should invest in some gloves and wash hands thoroughly with antibac soap/handwash after any tank contact. i wish i could remember where i read about it and i'd post the link. but it started really subtle with a cut that just wouldnt heal on her hand. went to docs and they diagnosed tb from aquarium from swabs and identifying the strain of bacteria causing the infection. try google ''fish tb'', that might bring it up, or at least similar cases. not just the fish to worry about, but take care of yourself too. hope its not fish tb. good luck and keep us posted.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cases like that are extremely rare, and usually result from an immune deficiency plus a large open wound on the hand. However, do be careful just in case. Yeah, rubber gloves are a good idea.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm always rather cautious! better to be safe than sorry!!!! and with our luck in our family, i'd be the one in a miliion to get it!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
tan.b said:
i really don't want to scare you, but i read somewhere about someone who nearly lost their hand (or maybe they did..I'm not sure) by the TB the fish had, getting into a cut on the woman's hand, just by her putting her hand in the tank water when doing tank maintenance. i should invest in some gloves and wash hands thoroughly with antibac soap/handwash after any tank contact. i wish i could remember where i read about it and I'd post the link. but it started really subtle with a cut that just wouldn't heal on her hand. went to docs and they diagnosed TB from aquarium from swabs and identifying the strain of bacteria causing the infection. try google ''fish TB", that might bring it up, or at least similar cases. not just the fish to worry about, but take care of yourself too.  hope its not fish TB. good luck and keep us posted.
I was just reading on the above mentioned.  This really opened my eyes, and I am going to be much more careful when handling my fish tank.  Good luck, and keep learning and sharing with us! 

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks susitna-flower! thats the one! although i couldnt get the link to work, so had to re-search that site, but got me in the righht direction. if anyone has trouble with that link try this one
same article. fancy that eh......both stumbling across the same article! surprised you recognised it from my garbled attempt at re-telling it!!!

certainly worth reading though.

Tan

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tan.b   Sorry about that,  my first attempt EVER at doing a link, and I typed it wrong!  OH well..... like I have said to continue learning is one of my goals in life, and I have definitely been learning lots from this forum.  Glad I was able to point you in the right direction.    

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
easy done!!! only way to learn is to have a go!!!!!!!!!! you werent far off!! i still got to the article!!!!! just had to delete the end bit of the link and search the site a bit!!!! no prob!! thanks again Tan

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How are your fish doing Pc8?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom