Help! Sick fish, filtration, and trouble.

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Hello everyone!
I haven't been very active lately, and my apologies for that. I'm hoping to be back on much more now!

I am returning with problems, however. This is rather urgent and I need help!

So, on my 40 gallon, I have 2 filters. One is a 40 gallon filter made to turn over the tank around 4+ times an hour.
The other is my extra 10 gallon filter, originally there to insta-cycle the big tank, now there for extra filtration.

Some of you may remember that recently, I rehomed my male molly with a friend to avoid more babies. Well, I went to visit that friend for the first time in a while, and found a horrible sight.

My molly, a male gold dust lyretail, is dreadfully sick. He is terribly small, losing his color, with clamped fins and red gills.

He is in a 25g tank with 1 gold gourami, 1 very small hatchetfish (more are on the way), and a young african leaf fish.
I know that this is not optimal conditions. The leaf fish will be getting his own 25g tank once he is bigger, and more mollies were supposed to be purchased.

My friend is very young and an amateur fishkeeper. He feeds them, performs water changes, etc- but he is not well versed in sickness and such. He has no idea what is happening or how to treat it.

I have my extra 10 gallon tank, which is currently empty. My question is, can I take the extra 10g filter off the big tank and move it back over?
my parents were worried that the fish and ecosystem in the big tank have adjusted to the extra flow and such, and that it would hurt the 40g.
Is this the case? I don't believe so, as I have the 40g filter on it too.

I would be keeping just the 1 male molly in the 10g to care and treat him, and then rehoming him with someone else.

Sorry for how long this is! Here's the overall question:
My question is, can I take the extra 10g filter off the big tank and move it back over?
my parents were worried that the fish and ecosystem in the big tank have adjusted to the extra flow and such, and that it would hurt the 40g.
Is this the case? I don't believe so, as I have the 40g filter on it too

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Desi said:
Honestly, I think it’ll be totally fine.
Great thank you! I'm going to make a post soon asking about the sick boy ^^
I'll keep everyone updated!

New Threads