Help! Sick Betta

Avanemi

Hey guys,

I have a wonderful little Betta named Rizzo that I have had for about a year now who is very sick. It is very shocking to me because it came on very suddenly.

He has been happily living in a planted community tank with some neon tetras, a couple Cory catfish, and some Nerite snails. Water parameters in the big tank are perfect when I checked and we have never had an issue with fin nipping or fighting at all.

The day before he was sick I checked on him during feeding that night and he was swimming around happily. He was possibly a little lethargic, but otherwise no signs of illness or injury besides his fins, which had been recovering from a bought of finrot. (He really loves to squeeze himself into small places, especially near the substrate, which causes the occasional tear even on the live plants, so its been a constant battle with fin rot)

I checked on him around noon the next morning and his condition had a dramatic change. He was laying on his side draped over the suction cup of my wall mounted heater and not responding to food or most stimulus. He was bloated and showing some pine coning, his right side was dramatically swollen and red and had a white spot behind his pectoral fin, which seemed to have white fuzz drifting out of it. His fins were clamped and very pale.

I have isolated him to a quarantine tank, where I have been using a slightly higher aquarium salt dosage (half a teaspoon per gallon) and begun a cycle of Seachem's Kanaplex, which I am 2 doses into at this point. This is the fourth day of treatment.

At this point, he is no longer bloated and the swelling and redness in his side are completely gone, the pineconing is just about gone, with only the smallest amount sometimes (it seems to come in and out). The white spot seems to almost be an indent in his side, and has possibly gotten bigger, but that might just be from the swelling reduction. His fins are no longer clamped and have full color.

He is currently active sometimes, some swimming around looking for food, and othertimes adjusting position. Other times he will have long stretches of time where he lays on the bottom of the tank not responding to much at all. He has eaten maybe 2 pellets the last 3 days (I fasted him the first day to help decrease the bloating, but stopped when he started presenting some aggressive food searching behavior). I had some silk plants in the tank to allow him to hide, but he prefered to stay on the bottom and started 'gasping' at the bottom to pull more water over the gills so I removed the plants to increase water circulation.

Quarantine Tank parameters (ammonia, ph, nitrites, nitrates) are normal. And I have been keeping the temperature between 75 and 80 degrees. 25% water changes daily and following the instructions for typical kanaplex dosing.

I have posted pictures of the white spot on his side below. Anyone know what this is? My best guess is that he got himself stuck somewhere while I was in class and it is a wound? Is there something I should be doing that I am not? Is there something I should be doing? Please help!

Attachments

• 20190510_094649.jpg
    20190510_094649.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20190510_094658.jpg
    20190510_094658.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 117

Victoria99

Hey guys,

I have a wonderful little Betta named Rizzo that I have had for about a year now who is very sick. It is very shocking to me because it came on very suddenly.

He has been happily living in a planted community tank with some neon tetras, a couple Cory catfish, and some Nerite snails. Water parameters in the big tank are perfect when I checked and we have never had an issue with fin nipping or fighting at all.
I'm not super knowledgeable, but it sounds like you're doing everything possible and doing it really well. The fact that you've possibly averted dropsy is impressive.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom