Help! Sick Betta

1. Neen Member Member

I have no idea what is going on with my Betta! He has not eaten & is just laying around on the bottom all the time for the past three days. When he does swim, he just dashes to the top & right back to the bottom. I noticed that his tail was looking ragged so I removed one of the plastic plants that I thought might be tearing it & his color looks good. I don't really see any spots on him.

I checked the water & everything was okay, but I have been doing 25% water changes every other day because I noticed on the surface that there was foam. Never had that before. I have been using a different product to remove chlorine, chlor out by wardley (because they didn't have my usual). I have been having trouble keeping the temperature at 78. It has been really cold at night & it will drop to 74 or 72 but the change is always gradual & changes as the house temp changes.

I was reading some of the posts & I read one that mentioned crooked disease (?) For two days he did look crooked. He didn't lay on the bottom straight. It was like he was trying to curl up. He's not doing it so much today.

I'm going to do another 25% water change today & see what happens. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks. Gina

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

The foam sounds like it built a bubble nest, which is used when the Betta mate and is pretty normal. There may be a few problems with him... he could be adjusting to the new dechlorinator if it causes enough differences in the water, or he could be getting constipated. It may/may not be a disease but I really can't tell if he is sick or not. What do you feed him? Are there any other fish in the tank?

3. Neen Member Member

I only have the one male betta. He is in a 10 gallon tank with heater & filter. I feed him flakes & bloodworms. I alternate days & only a tiny pinch in am & pm. He was doing great on just the flakes & then I read that they liked the bloodworms. He just devoured those. He has been eating those for at least three or four months. I have had him for almost two years.

I was trying to look closely at him today & he may have some white spots on his fins. I don't know if it is little scraps or tears from the plant I had in there or if it may be fin rot. If it is constipation, what can you do for them? Should I be feeding him something different?

Thanks for the help. :)

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Overeating bloodworms often causes constipation. Feeding a pea helps that. Thaw a frozen pea, crush it, and remove the skin. You should also treat for finrot--I have heard good results with Maracyn w/ Maracyn 2, Tetracycline, or Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I hate to tell you this, but your Betta may be dying of old age. :'( Bettas don't live long, a max of maybe 2-3 years and are usually at least 6 months old by the time they reach the store, so keeping one for 2 years is a long time.

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Also, the dramatic temperature changes maybe causing your betta to flip out.

my betta has a constant temp of 80 degrees, but one day when I was vacumming I accidentally hit the cord and knocked off the heater cord. The temp went down to 72 within a few hours, and my betta was really acting crazy, (staying in one corner) until i a two days later when i had gradually pulled the temp back up

6. vin Well Known Member Member

Try feeding him floating pelletized food called "Betta Bio Gold". I know when I had my Betta I fed him 2 pellets/day and he loved it. Lived for 6 years which is OLD........ :) I would also adjust my heater. Do this while you are at home.

What type of thermometer do you have? I have two....An LCD that sticks to the glass and a bulb type that sits in the tank....Both are pretty close to each other in accuracy, but I've found that when shopping for thermometers, the LCD's where much more consistent with their temps while the bulb type were consistently off by a degree or two. I made sure that both read the same temp. when I picked them out.

7. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hey hey - this sounds exactly like my betta a few weeks ago. He got ragged fins and a white zit on his nose and he went to the bottom of the tank all day except for occassional bubbles of air. My bedroom is freezing so I was advised by these wonderful people to turn up the temp so i did and put a blanket over the back of the tank and I treated him for fin rot and now he's happy as Larry again! Good luck!

8. Neen Member Member

I have been watching my temperature & I am thinking I might need a new heater. It has been very cold so I was gradually turning it up. I turn the lights on in am & the temp will be 74! Then by evening 80! I'm really frustrated. :mad:

I medicated him for a week with Melafix & yesterday I managed to keep the temp at 78 & he was swimming & he even took a bite of his food.

Now this morning when I got up the temp was almost 84! uggghhh! The heater I have came with my tank. I'm thinking I should replace it. It shouldn't be that hard to keep the temperature stable should it? He's not by a window. Any suggestions. ??? Gina

9. vin Well Known Member Member

Whar kind of lighting are you using - incandescent or fluorescent? Incandescent gives off much more heat....The type of heater you have will effect this as well....

10. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Get a new heater and feed him some frozen pea that has been just defrosted in the microwave and peeled.  (a piece about as big as half his eye)  He is crooked because the bloodworms have probably got him constipated and he's having swim bladder trouble.  Even if this is not the whole problem, he should get some pea or something green every week to keep his little innards working right.  Usually when they start shimmying around and moving kind of crooked like it is constipation.  They are little pigs when they eat and swollow most everything whole so it plugs them up frequently.  If you feed him the pea and he is constipated you should see a change in a few hours.  But he has also got to have a more stable temperature.  If you haven't bought a new heater yet, I recommend the Visi-therm Deluxe or the Visi-therm Stealth  I use them both and they have lifetime gaurantees.  That way if they breakdown you keep your sales ticket and you don't have to keep buying heaters.  They are also easy to set and very accurate.  I have a digital thermometer on the outside of the tank with a probe that goes into the water so I know they are staying where I set them.

I would watch for ich if I were you.  The type of temperature swings you have had are the prime conditions for ich.  It is a cold water disease and most of the time your water sounds like it is in that range at night.  If he starts showing symptoms, crank the temperature up to 85 and leave it there for at least 14 days so the parasite leaves his body and goes freeswimming in the water and will die.  

Rose
    :)

11. Neen Member Member

Thank you Rose & Vin! I really would like to get that heater. I think the one I have has proven to a piece of junk. Can you buy that type of heater on line. The only place we have in town to purchase fish supplies is Wal-Mart and they really don't have much of a selection.

After reading on the site today, I did turn the heat up & will try to get it to stay around 85. My thermometer is on the outside of the tank (it sticks on the glass). What does ich look like? And I am definitely going to try the pea.

I am not sure what type of lighting but I am guessing incandescent. They are 25 watt (two of them) & they are attached inside the hood. I don't have any more bulbs to check but I got them at Wal-Mart (where else). I will check tomorrow when I go there to see what kind they are.

Thanks again for the help. :) Gina

12. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I bought a ten gallon kit from walmart as well - if you and i have the same one, it's incandescent :)

13. vin Well Known Member Member

You can buy a lot of items on line - shop around. I have an Ebo-Jaeger heater and it's been great. It has a 3 yr. warranty. I also use two thermometers. One and LCD that sticks to the glass on the outside of the tank and the other is a traditional bulb type that sits in the water.

As for the lighting, if you screw them in, they're incandescent. If they have a single or double pin on each end of the tube and look like the lights you'd see in a basement workshop, they're fluourescent.

Fluorescent burns cooler and the bulb life is longer than that of an incandescent. It's also easier to find color and temperature correct bulbs for fluorescent.

14. Neen Member Member

My lights are incandescent. I am going to go shop around for a heater this afternoon (& maybe a new hood, different lighting). I am also going to keep the heat up in case he has ich. I think he likes it warmer any way. He was swimming around this morning. It's the most I have seen him swim in weeks. Thanks so much for the help. :) Gina

15. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

16. Neen Member Member

Well, I tried the pea but I didn't see him eat it. I am going to try it again. I also found the Betta Bio Gold & he doesn't seem to be eating but that would mean he hasn't eaten for weeks. I did find some lower watt bulbs & put the heater closer to the gravel. I have managed to keep the temperature steady. hurray!! I am keeping it around 84 since the drastic temp. changes. As long as it doesn't hurt him & I want to make sure he doesn't have ich.

I checked on line at petsmart & they had a heater for around $22.00. I will check those other sites as well. Thank you Rose for the info.

For now I am going to keep the temp. up & try to see if he eats (i'll try the pea again, maybe I put in too large of a piece) & just keep doing my 25% water changes regularly.

Thanks for all the helpful advice & hopefully he will be his old self soon. ;D Gina

17. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Some bettas resist eating anything green. They believe they are only meant to eat meat, but they need to eat something to get their little systems cleared. If he won't even try to eat them don't worry, he is eating something you are giving him or he wouldn't be around. He wouldn't have lasted 4 weeks. They can be crafty and it is really surprising how little they really need to keep going. Mine can get along on 2 pellets twice a day or 3 or 4 bloodworms twice a day and I sometimes fast them once a week for a day just to keep them from going into the dreadful overeating phase. Believe me, you don't want a betta who overeats! It can cause a LOT of problems. As I said, He will not allow himself to starve. He will eat and my bet is he is eating and you just aren't seeing it. Don't worry too much. As long as he doesn't have a disease, he will be okay, I am fairly sure. One more thing you might try, fish LOVE garlic. You can try to get some minced garlic (the kind that is moist in a jar) and take a little of the liquid and soak his food in it for about 3 or 4 minutes before you give it to him. It MAY tempt him to eat.

I hope this helps. Keep me informed.

Rose
    :)

18. vin Well Known Member Member

Garlic :D They must be italian....!! LOL!! Interesting!

19. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I can't take credit for this one. Gunnie came up with it and passed it and along to a lot of us and it seems to work on finicky fish.

Rose
    ;)

20. vin Well Known Member Member

To be honest, I'm an avid fisherman and a lot of soft plastic baits are scented and flavorized. Salt and garlic are two of the biggies you see out there as far as scent and flavors. I guess it's not hard to see where it would be any different for hobby fish. ;)