Help!!!!!! Sick Angel

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have had this angel fish for about a month now. I got him and one other from a local fish store near me. They only sell fish and order from local USA breeders.

This fish was ok when I got him and i noticed he started to get thin and clamp his fins. The other fish I got with him remained fine and healthy (even now). All other fish in the tank remained healthy too.

When I noticed he wouldnt eat (or when he did grab food he would immediately spit out the food) I placed him into the quarantine (it use to have my baby loaches in it). I have been medicating the tank for 2 weeks now and he barely has got any better. The only thing different about him is he no longer clamps. He still barely eats, is incredibly thin, and dull colored.

Again when he does go to eat he instantly spits out the food (brine shrimp, thawed blood worms, "bug bites" ) SOMETIMES he will eat flakes but it's difficult to get him to eat more than 2 flakes.

I have never had a sick fish from this place before. It has been several weeks since I got the fish so they cant give me any kind of refund. The angels they have at the shop now are all beautiful and healthy. I guess it was just a "fluke" that I got this sick one

What more can I do to help him get better? Id rather not have him suffer and die. He seems alert and curious but still pretty sick.

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What medication were you using?

Have you seen any white stringy poop?
When I first medicated him I saw white fat poops. So I assume he had worms but since he isn't eating much I dont see him poop often. I havent seen any white poops in the quarantine recently. I just cleaned it today and tried to feed him before dosing the tank again. He just picked up a piece and spat it right out. Flakes and brine shrimp.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I first medicated him I saw white fat poops. So I assume he had worms but since he isn't eating much I dont see him poop often. I havent seen any white poops in the quarantine recently. I just cleaned it today and tried to feed him before dosing the tank again. He just picked up a piece and spat it right out. Flakes and brine shrimp.
Ok.
But what medication are you using? They dont all treat the same things.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he isn't eating and is wasting away and pale and had white poo...trying different foods likely wont help. The fish is sick. :-(

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok.
But what medication are you using? They dont all treat the same things.
I was using paraguard. I literally used the whole bottle (dosing as directed). I didnt buy the HUGE bottle ....not sure how many oz the smaller size bottle is...but that's what I used.

2 pet stores near me didnt have paraGuard (somehow.....) So last week I bought Imagitarium parasite remedy. It says it treats Ich and other parasires (a couple were listed on the bottle)

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he isn't eating and is wasting away and pale and had white poo...trying different foods likely wont help. The fish is sick. :-(
The odd thing is that he is active and comes up to the glass and moves around but just won't eat. It is like he wants to but then spits it right out. No matter what it is.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately there are many different parasites and not all meds treat all kinds. And I'm pretty sure paraguard doesnt treat internal parasites at all. It's for external fungal and bacterial infections. That's not what you are dealing with. So it's not surprising that you havent seen improvement.

The most common condition in angels (or cichlids in general) is hexamita. Aka hole in the head. It's the first thing I treat for if I have an angelfish that is not eating and has shown white poop.

You should try and get your hands on a med that contains metronidazole. A good option is seachem metroplex. Also crank the heat. That is my best advice.

TheSpasticCorydora

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks. I'll give it a try
Unfortunately there are many different parasites and not all meds treat all kinds. And I'm pretty sure paraguard doesnt treat internal parasites at all. It's for external fungal and bacterial infections. That's not what you are dealing with. So it's not surprising that you havent seen improvement.

The most common condition in angels (or cichlids in general) is hexamita. Aka hole in the head. It's the first thing I treat for if I have an angelfish that is not eating and has shown white poop.

You should try and get your hands on a med that contains metronidazole. A good option is seachem metroplex. Also crank the heat. That is my best advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom