Help! Siamese Algae Eater In Distress Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by shannon767, Feb 16, 2019.

1. shannon767 Valued Member Member

Hi, my Siamese algae eater has a red spot - looks like it’s inside the left side of his mouth. He is moving his mouth in a way that looks like he is trying to constantly suck in water. I also saw him brush that side of his mouth on a branch as if he were flashing. It was hard to get a good pic, I did the best I could. Anyone have any ideas for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Never saw this before but it reminds me of a Cestodes flatworm (color).
    I could be completely wrong but maybe it is an idea to worm your fish.

3. shannon767 Valued Member Member

My Siamese Algae eater is not closing his mouth. A couple of weeks ago he had a red sore in his mouth that I thought was gone, but I see it in the zoomed in picture. He is starting to behave in a way that concerns me.

He isn’t eating and today he started running into the glass and every now and then goes vertical. He also seems to be floating in the current instead of swimming in it.

I know these are bad signs, but there’s no sign of pine coning, which I normally see with this behavior and inevitably ends in death. :(

Is there any helping him? I’ve had him for a couple of years and really don’t want to lose him.

Stats:
    40-80
    [​IMG]

pics below. Thank you for your help!

Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

What type of substrate do you have? Could there possibly be something stuck in his mouth? Hopefully someone more experienced with this comes along.

5. shannon767 Valued Member Member

That tank has small, smooth pebbles (see pic) and fine sand underneath.

[​IMG]

6. shannon767 Valued Member Member

Hi, I’ve been trying to get some help on an issue with my Siamese Algae Eater without any success. I was able to get some decent pictures of the front of his mouth. The problem is that his mouth isn’t closing-at all. He hasn’t eaten in more than a week. He seems miserable, and I don’t know what to do to help him. Has anyone seen this before???

I currently have him in a hospital tank and have been using kanaplex. (I’m also giving him liquid vitamins in the hope that it will offset the lack of food.) I just picked up some sulfaplex, which has a broader range of issues it addresses. But looking at his mouth, I don’t know that either of these will address what is wrong with him. Can someone help me??!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Shannon, I’ve merged your threads so all the information is in one place & moved it to the disease board for you, sorry you haven’t had much response, hopefully members will be able to help today.

8. shannon767 Valued Member Member

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I just don’t know what to do for this little guy.

9. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

Sorry your guy is still having this issue. If nothing is lodged in there then it sounds like lockjaw possibly. Hopefully someone will come along with some advice.

10. AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

It's probably a bacterial infection but not one easily treatable like Columnaris. Probably need injectable antibiotics from a vet.