Help! Shrimp Picking At Betta Fin

BettaGirl93
I saw one of the shrimps pinching at the betta's top fin and that explains the tear I've been seeing. How do I make sure this doesn't develop onto fin rot or how do I help it heal?

20180323_202228.jpg

Lynn78too
That is so odd. I'm sticking around to see what everyone says. I've never heard of a shrimp picking at betta. I'd have assumed it would be the betta that ate the shrimp. Are they cherry shrimp or amano?

WanhiBetta
What type of shrimp?

BettaGirl93
What type of shrimp?
They were only labeled as "fancy shrimp" at the pet store

20180301_125307.jpg

FlipFlopFishFlake
What species of shrimp is it, I seriously doubt that it as the shrimp that attacked it. If you are sure it is the shrimp, I would remove the shrimp as an obvious first step. Next you should maintain very clean water. Do frequent water changes, and his fins should heal up shortly.

BettaGirl93
The shrimp will even pick at each other and the fact that I saw it really leads me to believe that those pinchers cut the fishes fin.

BettaGirl93
Perhaps they are whisper shrimp?

Are any species of shrimp aggressive?

Madrigal77
Looks like Amano shrimp to me. I've never heard of them attacking a fish. Are you sure that's what happened? Did you see it happen?

Your Betta could have just torn his fin on a decoration. It happens all the time. As far as helping him heal, as mentioned before, keep your water quality pristine and he'll heal pretty quickly.

Rtessy
Definitely an amano, that's so weird they're normally really peaceful. I was expecting it to be a ghost shrimp, they can pinch fish sometimes. How many do you have? It could easily be a space issue making them aggressive. But clean water is going to be very helpful in healing

Sakana魚
Looks like an amano! They eat algae do you have any in your tank? If not you should supplement there diet with an occasional peice of algae waffer or some brand of shrimp food.

I have heard they can get aggressive when they are starving but I have never witnessed it. Mine don't bother anyone but I have a ton of algae and live plants they even steal some of the corydoras food on occasion, its funny to watch, they come out, snatch it, run off.

Mcasella
They will attack even if they aren't starving, I've seen it happen. Your betta is now a target for them because he is "easy pickings", meaning anytime he sleeps where they can reach him they will try to eat him. You can try and offer other food but it is easiest to remove the shrimp and get a different kind (clear or low grade neocaridina would be best, they do not attack live fish).
There is a thread on here about an amano snatching a fish out of the water and eating into its gut while it was still alive. Not something I would want around my long finned betta.

BettaGirl93
I'll start feeding them more. I was told to only feed them once a week. I even explained how I don't have algae in the tank and was told that didn't matter.

Mcasella
I'll start feeding them more. I was told to only feed them once a week. I even explained how I don't have algae in the tank and was told that didn't matter.
My shrimp get fed as often as my fish which is between 4-6 days a week, I only have one amano shrimp that I'm not sure how it got into my tank (it is smaller than any of the previous ones I had, and magically showed up in a tank that only had ghost shrimp and a few low grade cherries, no living amanos at that point and the tank is not salty enough to produce an amano shrimp nursery that they need).

r5n8xaw00
I considered shrimp for my betta, but he so aggressive he could end up attacking them. I figured shrimp would be to fragile to have in his tank.

Labyrinth
I considered shrimp for my betta, but he so aggressive he could end up attacking them. I figured shrimp would be to fragile to have in his tank.

I learned long ago not to have shrimp with Bettas.
I once got up on the middle of the night and noticed Two ghost shrimp munching on a sleeping Betta’s tail. The shrimp were well fed too. They just like Betta tail.

BettaGirl93
DX I don't have any other tanks to put them in.

r5n8xaw00
Sounds more and more to me that shrimp and betta together is not a good idea.

mattgirl
DX I don't have any other tanks to put them in.
Sounds to me like you have to decided which to keep. If the shrimp are tearing the betta up it is just a matter of time until they do enough damage to him to kill him.

I know this is harsh but do you want him to die a slow painful death or do you want to get him away from them so he can live a long safe life. It's up to you since he can't get away from them.

BettaGirl93
I'm going to see if the local pet store has like an adoption tank or something like that because I'm sure I'm past the return limit.

Other than a snail, any suggestions on better tank mates?
I'm peeved that so many places recommended shrimp without any hint at the fin tearing.

BettaGirl93
I feel so bad because I don't want to give up on my shrimp.

Would dropping food in more frequently remedy this problem?

Obviously my number one priority is keeping everyone in the tank happy and healthy. Shrimp were recommended to me to keep in a betta tank and I had never heard of the shrimp beong the aggressor before. I was initially concerned with the betta killing the shrimp.

Mcasella
I'm going to see if the local pet store has like an adoption tank or something like that because I'm sure I'm past the return limit.

Other than a snail, any suggestions on better tank mates?
I'm peeved that so many places recommended shrimp without any hint at the fin tearing.
Neocaridina shrimp are good tank mates, others are hit or miss, find some low grade cherries if you can, they have less flashy color so are less likely to become a treat.

BettaGirl93
I'm keeping two and going the frequency of feeeings. If that doesn't help I'm getting rid of shrimp completely.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHIMERA
Top Bottom