Help! shrimp mysteriously dying

Sputnik

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry Abby, I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else has some, but I’m at a loss...

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never had to stir up my substrate. You should really not have to distribute it. Doing so could cause a spike in ammonia. If your substrate is that dirty you are or have in the past over feed.

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
tjander said:
I have never had to stir up my substrate. You should really not have to distribute it. Doing so could cause a spike in ammonia. If your substrate is that dirty you are or have in the past over feed.
Just to avoid anerobic pockets

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a sand or other dense substrate? Honestly is all the years of aquatics I have never had this problem I understand the theory behind it but I have never experienced it. I am beginning to wonder if your not doing to much to your tank and maybe creating problems unintentionally. Might be worth the chance to just back away from you tank for a couple weeks and see what happens. Do a small water change once a week and feed them small amounts but stop everything else.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Out of desperation to help you because I'm a new shrimp groupie and want you to be too, I'm going to throw out a few questions.

I see you use a plant substrate in your tank, so do I. But do you feed your plants? Many plant foods have copper and some do not list it, I do not use any kind of plant food in my shrimp tank. I just let the substrate and shrimp poo feed my plants and so far it's been enough to keep most of the plants healthy. I will admit to a problem with growing carpet plants. Also most of my plants are not actually planted in the substrate, I have a lot of various java ferns and a few anubius, which are glued or tied to rocks or wood, as is a nice population of java moss. I also have emersed plant roots, pothos and peace lilies, my shrimp spend a lot of time in them.

Also do you add known biofilm magnets? I add Indian almond leaves, cholla wood and have a driftwood center piece. My shrimp graze on those constantly. I also have only sponge filters, no hob's, my babies use those for their first food and the adults also spend a lot of time grazing on them. I actually use these as the main shrimp food.

And it might just be me, but I do feed my shrimp everyday. I actually feed twice a day. The morning feeding is a very small amount of finely crushed flakes. This dust the filters and hangs on the emersed roots, and gives the shrimp a light meal as well as feeds the tanks sole fish, Egor, a very deformed guppy who would not survive in the big tank. The second meal is again, a light meal of flakes and some algae wafers which the amano shrimp grab up, and maybe some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms if I have some thawed out for the big tank, but again a light meal. I have tried many different foods and come across the right amount to make sure the shrimp, Egor and the snails eat it all in the proper amount of time. If I do over feed or feed something they don't like, I suck that up in the morning when I do the before work tank checks.

As far as moulting. I regularly see shed skins of the amono shrimp, but have never actually seen a shed cherry shrimp skin. But they must be doing so because I have berried females and the babies are growing. I figure my old eyes just can't see them.

I won't claI'm to be an expert, I'm fairly new at this, I'm just throwing my experiences so far.

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barbiespoodle said:
Out of desperation to help you because I'm a new shrimp groupie and want you to be too, I'm going to throw out a few questions.

I see you use a plant substrate in your tank, so do I. But do you feed your plants? Many plant foods have copper and some do not list it, I do not use any kind of plant food in my shrimp tank. I just let the substrate and shrimp poo feed my plants and so far it's been enough to keep most of the plants healthy. I will admit to a problem with growing carpet plants. Also most of my plants are not actually planted in the substrate, I have a lot of various java ferns and a few anubius, which are glued or tied to rocks or wood, as is a nice population of java moss. I also have emersed plant roots, pothos and peace lilies, my shrimp spend a lot of time in them.

Also do you add known biofilm magnets? I add Indian almond leaves, cholla wood and have a driftwood center piece. My shrimp graze on those constantly. I also have only sponge filters, no hob's, my babies use those for their first food and the adults also spend a lot of time grazing on them. I actually use these as the main shrimp food.

And it might just be me, but I do feed my shrimp everyday. I actually feed twice a day. The morning feeding is a very small amount of finely crushed flakes. This dust the filters and hangs on the emersed roots, and gives the shrimp a light meal as well as feeds the tanks sole fish, Egor, a very deformed guppy who would not survive in the big tank. The second meal is again, a light meal of flakes and some algae wafers which the amano shrimp grab up, and maybe some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms if I have some thawed out for the big tank, but again a light meal. I have tried many different foods and come across the right amount to make sure the shrimp, Egor and the snails eat it all in the proper amount of time. If I do over feed or feed something they don't like, I suck that up in the morning when I do the before work tank checks.

As far as moulting. I regularly see shed skins of the amono shrimp, but have never actually seen a shed cherry shrimp skin. But they must be doing so because I have berried females and the babies are growing. I figure my old eyes just can't see them.

I won't claI'm to be an expert, I'm fairly new at this, I'm just throwing my experiences so far.
There’s nothing special about the substrate. It’s got some river gravel, aqua iron and some black diamond quartz. I don’t really feed the plants as they are doing fine and I don’t want to risk hurting the shrimp. The java moss seems to be struggling a bit but that’s not my main concern.
Here are some photos of what I have in my tank. I’ll add ial at your recommendation
Image1585286144.127636.jpg
Image1585286240.098187.jpg
Image1585286286.189333.jpg
Image1585286332.049767.jpg
Image1585286516.176446.jpg
Image1585286783.494149.jpg

Photos are terrible but that’s 2 sponge filters ( one single and one dual), three pieces of driftwood, anubias nanax2, java fern, Amazon swordx2, banana lily, Monte Carlo, heaps of rotala and wisteria, 2x bunches of java moss and heater set to 22 Celsius.
I feed a variety of shrimp foods and have noticed two molts in the past week so maybe the worst is over?

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sure hope the worse is over for you and I'm glad you are not giving up hope.

Between you and me, I've had my ups and downs in my shrimp keeping experience but I stuck with it and am so glad I did, my shrimp tank has become my favorite tank. It has been a trip watching this little world evolve.

Your shrimp tank doesn't seem all that different than mine. I guess the main difference is that I have pothos and peace lilies put in where the hang on back filter use to be with their roots hanging in the water. The pothos in particular has really grown and the roots are almost reaching the substrate. The shrimp love to hang out on the roots and the roots do contribute as far as keeping the tank clean. Since the tank is in a dark corner, I do have a grow light for the plants and it's kind of cool having the pothos vines wrap behind and around the tank. But with your water prams, I don't think pothos would be a plus, more a personal choice of decorations.

Keep up with it, you might be surprised like me when one day you wake up and find babies feeding on your sponge filter.

Also, I think your tank looks beautiful.

Attachments

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barbiespoodle said:
Also, I think your tank looks beautiful.
Thank you so much. Everything I did when I was building it was so that I could keep red cherry shrimp

jpaquatics said:
Do you have Cyanobacteria? Or have you treated for it before?
I might have it. How can I treat it?
Does it mean anything if the shrimp have a dark body?

Attachments

jpaquatics

Reaction score
You can treat cyanobacteria with chemiclean. Look it up on amazon, that’s where I got it. I have Neocaridina and have used it and it is shrimp safe as long as you follow directions on the packaging.

Some species of Cyanobacteria release toxins that can eventually kill livestock and I have a suspicion that it could be this that is harming your shrimp

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jpaquatics said:
You can treat cyanobacteria with chemiclean. Look it up on amazon, that’s where I got it. I have Neocaridina and have used it and it is shrimp safe as long as you follow directions on the packaging.

Some species of Cyanobacteria release toxins that can eventually kill livestock and I have a suspicion that it could be this that is harming your shrimp
Did you treat with the shrimp in the tank or did you take them out?

I'm not the biggest fan of putting chemicals in the tank and have read that Anacharis can help with blue green algae. Could I plant some of that instead or should I just treat the tank with chemiclean?

jpaquatics

Reaction score
I treated with shrimp in the tank. I feel the same with chemicals. I couldn’t get it to go away with anything else, and after using chemiclean, all of the cyano was gone within 48 hours and now there isn’t a trace of it. If you want to get completely rid of it, chemiclean is the way to go.

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jpaquatics said:
I treated with shrimp in the tank. I feel the same with chemicals. I couldn’t get it to go away with anything else, and after using chemiclean, all of the cyano was gone within 48 hours and now there isn’t a trace of it. If you want to get completely rid of it, chemiclean is the way to go.
Thank you so much that’s amazing!! It almost sounds like you’re sponsored *laugh* you’re a hero!
today I can see 7 shrimp which is one more than I thought I had. They’re all pretty much the same size so I don’t think they’ve beenborn in the tank, just more out of hiding I guess

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So today i noticed a couple moths and insects in the top of the tank mostly on the glass and i scooped them out. I haven’t noticed any shrimp deaths but was worried this might cause some. They all seem pretty healthy except one or two are losing a bit of colour but seem completely healthy otherwise. The bugs were probably attracted to the light after dark so I’m thinking about turning it off a bit earlier

Cazrea

Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, is there anyone that has sprayed insecticide or would you know if your water source could have some insecticide in it? If you’re in an area near agricultural development (mostly plant farms), there could be some in your water.

I had mystery deaths that wiped out all of my colonies, 3 tanks and over a year of work died after moving, all within a month of troubleshooting remotely. I really should’ve held off moving my livestock, but we to move them first because of transport safety. The first day was the day we were moving things without furniture, and we could only move our things once a week. I felt extremely helpless, the person watching over all the fish and shrimp was crying on video call because she thought it was her fault.

I prepared months in advance. I went to neighbors to test their water, slowly switched water in the old house for about 2 months before the move since the parameters were incredibly different, and before moving I tested the water in the house once it was running (it was the same as neighbors). The person that cared for them is the same person I trust when I’m out of town for business things, even with my cats and dogs she knew the routine down to a T for all the pets. I didn’t know what I could have done to prevent the worst from happening, and I was absolutely down and out. I was so close to selling my guppies and quitting fish keeping all together because for weeks I wasn’t able to keep my maintenance routine for them that the fry weren’t growing as fast as they usually did for me.

When I finally moved in, I saw the workers spraying Baygon every time they saw ants. This didn’t kill the ants (in fact, less than a month later, ants destroyed the ISP’s outside box for our fiber line), just deterred them. It absolutely killed my shrimp, and my snail population was significantly decreased as well. Only one shrimp survived, just recently passed due to old age. I think you should try and look into insecticide contaminants, too if you’re really lost at the moment.

This may sound dramatic, but when I lost all of my shrimp, I genuinely felt like quitting the hobby. I was so close to selling my guppies and quitting fish keeping all together because for weeks I wasn’t able to keep my maintenance routine for them that the fry weren’t growing as fast as they usually did for me. I thought that if I couldn’t care for them the best I can, then they deserve to go to someone that does. I’m lucky to be part of a community in my area that, when they learned of why I was planning to sell my guppies, they knocked some sense into me that the fact that I was willing to do the responsible thing for them, that all wasn’t lost. I can still pick myself back up, and that I shouldn’t give up so easily. One of them recommended I try to change my setup slowly, and so I worked my way back from there.

The LFS that customized my tanks and setup decided to send me a set of 10 Yellow Fire over a month ago because they believed that I shouldn’t give up. Right now, I’m troubleshooting things because a berried female died; she had the white ring so I think she tried to molt. I’m still observing as she passed the 3rd week she was with me, and no other shrimp has died. Copepods are back and flourishing, and snails are bouncing back as well. I’m hoping that it was the stress of moving to a new place, molting only to end up breeding without fully settling in, and that really got to her.

I’m very anxious at the moment about them, but I’m hopeful things turn out okay this time. It’s been 6 months since I had shrimp, and sometimes things happen despite you trying your best. Honestly, if this batch doesn’t make it, I may give up shrimp for a while and refocus on my guppies. I think it’s good to be honest about the reality of the situation, but not without trying. I can see that you’re trying really hard, and I hope that it works out for you.

New Threads