Help! Shrimp dying!

Finlee

I cant seem to find out why 2 out of 5 of the cherry shrimp I bought died! 1 failed to molt and the others just hid in a corner and died somehow. The other 2 molted perfectly fine.
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
5.5gal
How long has the tank been running?
9weeks
Does it have a filter?
2 sponge filters
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
25°C
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
2 alive cherry shrimp
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once every week and a water top up halfway through/algae cleanup
How much of the water do you change?
20-30%
What do you use to treat your water?
Petes step 1 tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacume substrate and water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API 5 in 1's and API ammonia test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.5
KH:120
GH: 120-180

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
They will not eat my shrimp food only the algae
How much do you feed your fish?
No idea
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Petes shrimp pelets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last week one failed to molt.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Dark blue along the body and dark tails. Hiding 24/7 only the ones that have been coming out have survived.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I dont think so?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Im not sure they have always been shy and hidden away.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

2 weeks ago I bought five cherryshrimp and put them in my tank through slow drip acclimation and then left lights off and didn't feed for 24 hours then I turned the lights on and added some food to the tank they didn't eat any of the pellets so I removed them after a couple hours. the next day I added more pellets and checked in on them, they didn't show for the next three days except for a little bit at night I could see them peeping out from behind one of the Rocks I have in my aquarium. over the course of the week three of them decided to come out and swim around at the end of the first week one of them was molting in the corner and it wasn't going so well the next day it was dead his tail was dark red and its body was limp. After that I checked my tank parameters and everything seemed fine except the water was a bit acidic so I did a water change and the pH went back to normal. Then for the next week I only saw two of the shrimp regularly at night the other two I had no idea if they were alive. then today I finally wedged a mirror behind my tank to try to check behind the rock as best I could and I can see that two of them are wedged underneath The Rock dead. I siphoned one out and they look pale with dark blue markings on the sides I'm not sure what happened or when they died.

Attachments

• 16212010282913868351246634247650.jpg
    16212010282913868351246634247650.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210516_152109.jpg
    20210516_152109.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 25

Debbie1986

How long has the tank been running?
9weeks

that's a very new tank

Shrimp hide after molting. Do you have decor for them to hide?

I'm trying to understand this:

'bit acidic so I did a water change and the pH went back to normal'
Shrimp are very sensitive, so this may have impacted it.

my shrimp colony is 16 months old, tank is 28 months live stocked.

Shrimp have a very low bioload. I add snails to keep feeding the eco-system of the tank. JMO, but I had some success with it.

- get crushed coral
- do you have plants? shrimp will strip and eat dead/dying leaves.

Only half my shrimp eat shrimp food the rest eat duckweed, plants and the bio-film slime on the tank aquarium.

- 5 shrimp is low numbers to me. Sometimes molts go bad.

I had 2 bad deaths back in Sept 2020. I started using PH balance for water changes. I still get a rare death now and again, but my colony is 50+ shrimp at any given time.

New tank/minimal bio-film makes raising them very tricky.

Are you feeding any veggies? broccoli? green beans, squash or zucchini slices? if not fully eaten, I remove after 24 hours, but that's been a while since I'vae had to remove anything as my shrimp & snail population is pretty healthy.

-check out Hikari Crab Cuisine as it has calcium for healthy shells which helps with molting issues.

Good luck and sorry for your losses.

Upvote 0

Finlee

Yes I have lots of plants and hides, I'll look into getting crushed coral and ph balancer. I did try blended cooked kale and bloodworm powder mixed and baked into flales but nothing since then thankyou for the food ideas! Im going to try and get more next time so they aren't lonley and stressed. And thankyou, it was really sad one of them had eggs :(

Upvote 0

vig

Just sharing my experience with my shrimp tank.
I have battled with this in the past with considered as a new planted tank 7.5 gallon. It was always the 25% water change that killed them in my case. I started to reduce the water change and currently just top off without any water change. I guessed my tank has reach a good ecosystem balance.

Upvote 0

Finlee

Ooh ok thankyou I'll try that
Should I get some snails to keep it clean then?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Don't think the tank is cycled. How did you cycle it?

Upvote 0

Finlee

Don't think the tank is cycled. How did you cycle it?
I put all my substrate, plants, and decorations in, im using conditioned tap water and a blue red UV plant light for 6hrs. I started by changing 40-50% of the water for the first week then 20% the rest of the time adding 10 caps of petes tank buster everyday for.... 2 weeks? Then 2 caps once every 10 days since. I use 4 drops of liquid fertilizer every week or two (im having trouble knowing how much to use) and I checked ammonia/nitrate & nitrites every week until they were all zero waited for plants to grow big and healthy along with some algae and then added shrimp after 6weeks. The only really big problem I had was using too much light and I had a cyano outbreak 2 weeks before shrimp were put in. I tryed natural methods to get rid of it but I ended up having to use slime away. But it didn't say anything about having adverse after effects on any invertibrates or fish. I also have dermetritus worms in my tank I believe? I think theyre harmless. And I think thats all I can say really? Anything I should fix or change?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I put all my substrate, plants, and decorations in, im using conditioned tap water and a blue red UV plant light for 6hrs. I started by changing 40-50% of the water for the first week then 20% the rest of the time adding 10 caps of petes tank buster everyday for.... 2 weeks? Then 2 caps once every 10 days since. I use 4 drops of liquid fertilizer every week or two (im having trouble knowing how much to use) and I checked ammonia/nitrate & nitrites every week until they were all zero waited for plants to grow big and healthy along with some algae and then added shrimp after 6weeks. The only really big problem I had was using too much light and I had a cyano outbreak 2 weeks before shrimp were put in. I tryed natural methods to get rid of it but I ended up having to use slime away. But it didn't say anything about having adverse after effects on any invertibrates or fish. I also have dermetritus worms in my tank I believe? I think theyre harmless. And I think thats all I can say really? Anything I should fix or change?

Hmm not sure what those products are. Liquid fert is probably not a reliable ammonia source, and the ammonia should be added frequently every 1-2 days. You dont want 0 nitrates, you want to see some nitrates in a newly cycled tank.

What kind of light is that? Is it really UV? If so it may not be safe for a tiny shrimp tank

Upvote 0

Finlee

Its a UV plant light I bought online. The reviews were good but I didn't know you needed a special UV light for shrimp.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Its a UV plant light I bought online. The reviews were good but I didn't know you needed a special UV light for shrimp.

You don't need UV for shrimp....

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Its for my plants

Are you dosing with CO2? If yes, that could be the problem. It can cause pH swings that shrimp can't tolerate.

Upvote 0

Finlee

Are you dosing with CO2? If yes, that could be the problem. It can cause pH swings that shrimp can't tolerate.
Ah no im not but thankyou for the tip!

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Well the tank doesn't seem to be cycled, that the biggest problem. The UV light may harm some shrimp...depending on what light it is exactly

Upvote 0

Finlee

How can I tell its cycled then? When I start to see nitrates?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

How can I tell its cycled then? When I start to see nitrates?

Yes, but I'm not sure what effect the UV light would have on the cycle. It kills bacteria but would it have enough of an effect to impact the cycle? Dont know....

Upvote 0

Finlee

Ah I see that is a good point. Ok thankyou!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishSupreme
Replies
Views