Help Sexing Rams

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Member Member

I got myself a "pair" of German Rams today, and was wondering if the fish store correctly sexed them. At the store =, the more closely resembled a pair with the larger showng a red belly colouring typical of females. Looking through afew threads here, I've started to doubt I have a m/f pair but rather two females. If someone could take a look and pitch in, I'd appreciate it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/360452175362785284/450861764926504962/image.jpg the supposed male

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/360452175362785284/450861796119805962/image.jpg the supposed female

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Try shining in the fish with the flashlight(turn off all of the other lights first)

The black dot on males shouldn’t have shiny scales while female species will have them.

3. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

2006fuzz Member Member

Both don't have shiny scales per se, but one is more iridescent then the other on the first 2 black stripes... Both seem to have the rounder fin shapes typical of females. If I do have 2 females, will they be able to co-exist?

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

2 females will coexist.

I believe that both genders have iridescence on their entire body. Males don’t have it on the dot though.

If you have 2 males, they may fight.

5. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

2006fuzz Member Member

They may just be too young to sex as of right now as the dot isn’t defined yet

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I would give them a day or two to get there color back.

7. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

If the 2nd does have the pink belly it looks like it has in the pic then it is a female

8. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'd suggest putting them in the tank and waiting a day, they should start to colour up. Post pics then :)

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The iridescence on the black spot is NOT a dependable characteristic. I've seen males with iridescent spots, and females with dark spots. There are tendencies toward one way or the other depending on strain, but it is not a good idea to depend on that as a sexual characteristic. This was a big male that spawned regularly for a friend of mine. Note that fin shape is not really a dependable characteristic, either. Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.jpg