Help sexing my Rams please…

SamEvans

Hi guys,

I picked up a “pair” of rams from my LFS. Can anyone help me sex them? Thanks ever so much!

Hellfishguy

You have two females.

SamEvans

Have you tried taking them out to dinner first?

In all seriousness, I found this article from a quick search, maybe it'll be of some help? Breeding German Blue Rams | Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine

That'll certainly throw a spanner into the works!
You have two females.
Thanks for the help guys! I suspected 2 females but just wanted someone more experienced to clarify. I have read a ton of articles and come to that conclusion but always unsure when the LFS says it’s a male and a female…

devsi

I suspected 2 females but just wanted someone more experienced to clarify. I have read a ton of articles and come to that conclusion but always unsure when the LFS says it’s a male and a female…

I only have experience with Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid but, if these similar, you could always go and get a male and he should be able to live with these two peacefully. The issues come with you have two males in the same tank.

Note: Research whether that's accurate for your Chichlids, and how to spot a male :)

Alternatively, I assume they'd give your money back if you wanted to get a male instead of one of the females?

SamEvans

I only have experience with Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid but, if these similar, you could always go and get a male and he should be able to live with these two peacefully. The issues come with you have two males in the same tank.

Note: Research whether that's accurate for your Chichlids, and how to spot a male :)

Alternatively, I assume they'd give your money back if you wanted to get a male instead of one of the females?

You have two females.

So I called into the LFS and they asked me how the new ones had settled and I said I think it’s 2 females. They were really cool and gave me a “male” free of charge. I felt bad being given a free fish so I bought a ton of plants. Here’s a pic of the “male”

Hellfishguy

It looks somewhat thin, but promising. After it settles in it will be easer to accurately sex.

SamEvans

It looks somewhat thin, but promising. After it settles in it will be easer to accurately sex.
Yeah I agree it looks thin. It seems happy and swimming and feeding normally. Hopefully it can put on some weight. It has coloured up well which is promising too!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bomby
Replies
Views
MrAyden
Replies
Views
Addictedtobettas
  • Question
Replies