Help sexing Kribs I’m so confused

Jimmyp47

My local fish store told me this was a male and female are they????

Attachments

• E3D7B0DF-32CE-43F3-A775-E788F34B1346.jpeg
    E3D7B0DF-32CE-43F3-A775-E788F34B1346.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 23
  • D761B9C9-29C9-4220-9769-13FBA0AC04CF.jpeg
    D761B9C9-29C9-4220-9769-13FBA0AC04CF.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 22034FB1-28B8-44E6-9077-157BD6F7B3F9.jpeg
    22034FB1-28B8-44E6-9077-157BD6F7B3F9.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 23

Itiwhetu

Picture 1 male
Picture 2? female
Picture 3 is that the same fish as in picture 2?

Jimmyp47

Yes it is that’s the one in the 2nd

Itiwhetu

Yes it is that’s the one in the 2nd
Chances are you have a male and female. Good luck, krib. babies are cute.

Jimmyp47

Chances are you have a male and female. Good luck, krib. babies are cute.
Thank you this was driving me nuts bout as hard sexing tetras!

MacZ

I wouldn't start breeding before checking possibilities to get rid of the fry. Pelvicachromis breed like guppies and you can easily be overrun with fry.

Tetras are easy, Cichlids are a pain
Depends very much on the species. Sexing Paracheirodon is tricky, Nematobrycon are easy. And while most Apistogramma are no problem, Labidochromis caeruleus are hard to sex.
Funnily enough most cichlids are easy to breed, while only every other tetra species can be without much effort.

Itiwhetu

I wouldn't start breeding before checking possibilities to get rid of the fry. Pelvicachromis breed like guppies and you can easily be overrun with fry.

Depends very much on the species. Sexing Paracheirodon is tricky, Nematobrycon are easy. And while most Apistogramma are no problem, Labidochromis caeruleus are hard to sex.
Funnily enough most cichlids are easy to breed, while only every other tetra species can be without much effort.
Give any fish the right conditions and they will spawn.

Linda1234

Of course; after all they spawn in their native habitat.... else they would have gone extinct....

MacZ

Of course. But have you ever seen somebody try breeding cardinal tetras in liquid rock tinted with 1-2 leaves and a handful of alder cones, not realising those are the wrong conditions? Nothing more funny and sad at the same time. And it happens here on the forum at least once or twice a year.

Lucy

Let's stay on topic and not go off on side discussion or be argumentative over something that wasn't asked.

Thank you
Here's the original post:

My local fish store told me this was a male and female are they????

chromedome52

Those two fish aren't going to breed; they are both males. POINTED VENTRAL FINS.

Jimmyp47

Honestly they are getting along way better than the last one I had which really was a male but I traded him back for a female the first male I got was attacking the other pretty much the second they both hit the water these 2 have been kinda just feeling each other out and the one that was supposedly female is doing the shakes in front of the confirmed male so my fingers crossed I think I’ll grow em out and then just give em away to any lfs/random on offerup

Linda1234

Fyi: male/female kribs will fight like cat and dogs until they pair off.

yukondog

MacZ is right on the fry, I use to breed kribs and once they pair up they dont stop breeding. It is very easy to get overrun with fry and nowear to take them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Genderal

Did You Know...

Taking aquarium and fish photos can be difficult at times. For ideas,check out Lchi87's article about:
How to take better photos with your phone

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom