Help Sexing Gbrs

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by JackyB, Apr 15, 2017.

1. JackyB

JackyB New Member Member

[​IMG]
    Hey guys, so I got these german blue rams a while ago and the woman at the pet store said they were both were males. After looking at them I was convinced one was a female and the other I wasn't sure about.

I think this is a female
    [​IMG]

And I suspect this guy being a male but I'm not sure

[​IMG]

Another PIC of him (?)
    [​IMG]

Also, if they are both the same sex, would they both be fine in my 20g?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I found this link, and going by what it says all of the above photos show a female. Black on the pectoral fins and blue spots in the black spots on her sides.

Sexing German Blue Rams

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

They are still quite young, and i'm alot more certain with adult GBR's, but i'm gonna say that is 2 females that haven't got their bright pink bellies yet. I can also see a blue scale in both of their black spots, which is usually an indication of a female GBR. I would wait for others to comment though.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The problem is that the supposed male has longfin gene, and the fins are somewhat elongated. As a result, you have to look at other indicators, which suggest female, though it is a bit thin.

Shortfinned fish has all the characteristics of a female. Spangling in the black spot is NOT a dependable method of sexing, as I've had males with blue spangling over the spot and females without. I think that is dependent on population differences, and since populations have been mixed together in aquaria and through commercial breeding, that characteristic is irregular, at best.

5. OP
    OP
    JackyB

JackyB New Member Member

Thank you so much. Learnt a lot. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens or swap the "male" for a confirmed young male.

Do you think of I just get a confirmed male and keep it with these 2, he will become part of a mated pair with one of them?

6. OP
    OP
    JackyB

JackyB New Member Member

Thanks, I do think it's a female now

7. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

I'm personally, still going to say 2 females, even with longfin GBR's it's not that difficult to notice the other indicators(Pink belly, and short dorsal rays).

Wow, I've yet to see a male with a blue scale in the black spot, so I've always used this as part of sexing GBR's. It must be very, very uncommon for males to have the blue spangling, atleast where I am geographically. But from now on when sexing these fish, I will use the blue spangling as a last resort.

8. OP
    OP
    JackyB

JackyB New Member Member

Aaah, I see. The main reason I thought the smaller of the two might be a male is because I read that males will have a "V" shaped end of the tail fin, while the female will have a tail fin without a "V"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice