Help! Sexing Dwarf Sunset Gouramis...

andiuk

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

So, I've bought myself a little Dwarf Sunset GouramI (the little bright red ones that only grow to about 1.5") - what I want to know is, how do I tell the males from the females?

The people @ my pet store didn't seem to know, one girl suggested that one of the lesser coloured grey ones was a female... but I'm fairly sure it was just a female neon-blue dwarf, and not a Sunset one...

Does anybody know!?

TTFN,
Andy

JDudley

Reaction score
..........all females will be pale grey in color, no matter the species, and the male won't care if she's not the same species.

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
JDudley said:
..........all females will be pale grey in color, no matter the species, and the male won't care if she's not the same species.
Not true...Not sure about sunset gouramis, but the female neon blue will be pale turquoise blue grey/dull silver in color with faint yellow stripes whereas the male is a more vivid turquoise blue with bright orange-red stripes....The honey dwarf gouramis are nearly identical in color except at spawning where the male's colors change......The red flame dwarf - the males are a vibrant orange-red with some pale blue/dull silver the females are much less vibrant and tend to be a pale grey color with some hints of dull orange.......

Wolfgang8810

Well Known
Reaction score
in gouramis male dorsal or top fins will be longer and more pointed while females will be more round and shorter

New Threads