Help sexing albino kribensis

Ravynn
These kribs have been at my local store since they were half an inch. I never got them because they were too small to sex, so I was wondering with them being big enough now, maybe 2-3 inches, if someone could sex these 2 for me. They seemed to be sticking with and watching eachother in the tank. One of them seemed to get a pink belly on and off. Please let me know, thanks!

JV077oW.jpg

lVGwlG2.jpg

KyacNKp.jpg

Amazoniantanklvr
Which ones? Are the first and second pic the same fish?
The one on the lower left on the last pic looks female to me. SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart could you help?

Ravynn
Which ones? Are the first and second pic the same fish?
The one on the lower left on the laast pic looks female to me. SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart could you help?

In the last pic, I was looking at the 2 big ones, not the one in the lower left. The one on the right in the last picture was the one that was getting a pink belly and is the same fish as the 2nd picture. The one on the left in the last picture is the same fish in the first picture. Sorry for any confusion

It is possible the 3rd krib in the lower left is a female but I wasn't focusing on it since it was much smaller

Falena
Those all look like males to me males can also have a pink tinted underside. It's possible the smallest is female but it has quite a masculine shape at the moment. The other two definitely male. Females are smaller and rounder, and don't have such elongated dorsal and analfins. They're very beautiful!

Ravynn
Those all look like males to me males can also have a pink tinted underside. It's possible the smallest is female but it has quite a masculine shape at the moment. The other two definitely male. Females are smaller and rounder, and don't have such elongated dorsal and analfins. They're very beautiful!

I was stupid to not focus on the smaller one in the lower left hand corner of the last pic. I was so focused on the big ones because they were so tiny last time I saw them. The smaller one had a round belly and was shorter, compared to the other 2 big ones in the pic.

Better pic of that smaller one.

C79mBmZ.jpg

Amazoniantanklvr
I was stupid to not focus on the smaller one in the lower left hand corner of the last pic. I was so focused on the big ones because they were so tiny last time I saw them. The smaller one had a round belly and was shorter, compared to the other 2 big ones in the pic.
That's why I think that the smaller one is female. The belly is too round to be male IMO.

Better pic of that smaller one.

View attachment 669608
Are you at your LFS right now? It looks like it could be either from that pic. It have some female characteristics as well as some male characteristics.

Ravynn
That's why I think that the smaller one is female. The belly is too round to be male IMO.

I added a better picture above. She's about half the size of the other large ones. They were all from the same batch as well so grew at a steady pace together.

Are you at your LFS right now? It looks like it could be either from that pic. It have some female characteristics as well as some male characteristics.
I already left. It's unfortunate if they're all male as they've been there close to a year and haven't seen them on their fish lists since then.

Amazoniantanklvr
I added a better picture above. She's about half the size of the other large ones. They were all from the same batch as well so grew at a steady pace together.
Yeah, I responded. Look at my OPINION on top.

Falena
Haha, its not stupid! I Know how exciting it is when looking at pretty fish, you get distracted lol. That's a tough one as it still has quite a masculine face, it could be a sub-dominant male. But it has more vivid markings, common in females and rounder dorsal and analfins so my best guess would be that the smallest one is female

Ravynn
Haha, its not stupid! I Know how exciting it is when looking at pretty fish, you get distracted lol. That's a tough one as it still has quite a masculine face, it could be a sub-dominant male. But it has more vivid markings, common in females and rounder dorsal.and analfins so my best guess would be that the smallest one is female

They are very pretty in person! So bright... but you're right, the dorsal fin on the small one is rounded and the other 2 large kribs have very long and pointed ones.

Edit: Also noticed that the small one doesn't have those circles on the caudal fin like the others, if that's any indicator, I don't know. Lol

Amazoniantanklvr
I'd get the smaller one and the more brightly colored larger one (very first pic in this thread). They will be your best bet in getting two kribs that tolerate each other.

Falena
I already left. It's unfortunate if they're all male as they've been there close to a year and haven't seen them on their fish lists since then.
Woah the same batch or? If so then I'd say most definitely female. Is she sticking by either of those boys in particular? It's possible they may already be a pair

Amazoniantanklvr
Aqua Huna has albino kribs but no sexing guarantee.

Ravynn
Woah the same batch or? If so then I'd say most definitely female. Is she sticking by either of those boys in particular? It's possible they may already be a pair

Yes, from the same batch. Poor little guys, no one has wanted them for some reason. There's possibly only 4 left in the tank so it seemed like they all stayed near each other.

I'd get the smaller one and the more brightly colored larger one (very first pic in this thread). They will be your best bet in getting two kribs that tolerate each other.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to go back in the next few days and stare at them for another 30 mins.. haha. I'm also in Canada so can't order from the website you mentioned

Falena
They are very pretty in person! So bright... but you're right, the dorsal fin on the small one is rounded and the other 2 large kribs have very long and pointed ones.

Edit: Also noticed that the small one doesn't have those circles on the caudal fin like the others, if that's any indicator, I don't know. Lol
Oh they are indeed. My lfs has some in their display tank, and has spawns on occasion. very striking!
and in the case of them being there that long I'd say for certain those are male and female. So sad they've been there a year though, I'm surprised! They sell really quickly where I live.
haha good observation! Unfortunately the caudal fin spots aren't an indicator of sex, sometimes kribs develop more of these as they age. I had a female that started with one on her caudal and one on her dorsal and by age 3 had 4 or 5 on her dorsal and 3 on her caudal. It's interesting

Ravynn
Oh they are indeed. My lfs has some in their display tank, and has spawns on occasion. very striking!
and in the case of them being there that long I'd say for certain those are male and female. So sad they've been there a year though, I'm surprised! They sell really quickly where I live.
haha good observation! Unfortunately the caudal fin spots aren't an indicator of sex, sometimes kribs develop more of these as they age. I had a female that started with one on her caudal and one on her dorsal and by age 3 had 4 or 5 on her dorsal and 3 on her caudal. It's interesting

When they first got them in, I was actually amazed by how tiny they were. Truly 1/2". I really hope that smaller one turns out to be female!

Falena
When they first got them in, I was actually amazed by how tiny they were. Truly 1/2". I really hope that smaller one turns out to be female!
Aww bless them, they're so cute when they're that size. I do genuinely believe she's female but next time you're there, if you can get a pic of her flared up we can confirm for sure! are you planning on purchasing them?

Amazoniantanklvr
I'm also in Canada so can't order from the website you mentioned
Forgot that, sorry.

Ravynn
Aww bless them, they're so cute when they're that size. I do genuinely believe she's female but next time you're there, if you can get a pic of her flared up we can confirm for sure! are you planning on purchasing them?

Yes, if that krib turns out to be female I was highly considering purchasing them. I have a fully planted 20 gallon long ready for them that has a small long fin BN that I was planning on moving to my 40g.

Falena
Yes, if that krib turns out to be female I was highly considering purchasing them. I have a fully planted 20 gallon long ready for them that has a small long fin BN that I was planning on moving to my 40 gallon.
Oh how exciting! Kribs are a lot of fun and I'm sure they'll be happy to come home with you after being in the store for so long

KribensisLover1
angelcraze and Amazoniantanklvr I am sure that the far right is a male.
Then the small I’m fairly sure female. The middle one that’s large also looks to me more female from the back more male on top so if somebody said male I would likely agree.
But largest on right boy for sure
And baby I think girl

Were they this size? When I got these parents (these are 8 weeks) I swear the mom was at most 12 weeks. Tiny. Need to find a pic
image.jpg
image.jpg
61BAC2C3-81CA-4AB0-BAF1-274FF648CFB1.jpeg
6D23E5D7-CBAB-4B4D-9C1E-87F7F9F917CB.jpeg

Ravynn
angelcraze and Amazoniantanklvr I am sure that the far right is a male.
Then the small I’m fairly sure female. The middle one that’s large also looks to me more female from the back more male on top so if somebody said male I would likely agree.
But largest on right boy for sure
And baby I think girl

Thanks! I'm really hoping this is the case

Were they this size?

Yes they were, possibly even smaller!

Falena
Here are my kribs for shape/marking reference if it's of any help
Female :
1582911778299.png
Male:
1582911855708.png

KribensisLover1
Thanks! I'm really hoping this is the case

Yes they were, possibly even smaller!
Just saw you say all same batch and small sticks with the one. That’s a mated pair otherwise they will not hang out and swim together like that

Also the girls have more rounded bellies. Mine ALL get pink regardless of gender. Also how long have they been there? Interested to know how long until mine are large? They will not swim and act like buddies unless they’re mates. They won’t tolerate the other in their space unless they’re a pair. They don’t get friendly with each other.

EAC452C4-BA27-449F-AA94-EB2FE6501E1F.jpegThis is my boy when he would get mad when any fish besides his mate or babies even looked in his direction. Meanwhile the mate and babies could bother him all day with no issues! But he’s so red and def a male. Sorry his tail isn’t in this one I’ll find another

Amazoniantanklvr
Also the girls have more rounded bellies. Mine ALL get pink regardless of gender. Also how long have they been there? Interested to know how long until mine are large? They will not swim and act like buddies unless they’re mates. They won’t tolerate the other in their space unless they’re a pair. They don’t get friendly with each other.
So you still don't know what sex they are?

KribensisLover1
So you still don't know what sex they are?
No I was just saying I know the boys get red bc of these old pics. Not bc of the babies and that experience. When the fish in general get angry or territorial they flare up and they all look red. Here is a new Mated pair (the parents) here is the mom when new so tiny and a couple other tiny ones and here is the dad all red but he was new and came with nipped fins so you can’t see how pointed his tail was. The female you can kind of see the rounder belly below the pink bc they both have pink. But I think based on @angelcrazr that the babies are all females bc of body shapes and somewhat coloring and then FinalFins I think pointed out the ph info and the numbers would show females. I had the ph numbers that determine sex off a bit.
I do see the point of determining gender by the red belly bc I think when younger and in general females can show red all the time when males only when they flare. But that’s why it’s hard to tell in a store based on belly bc my male was flared almost constantly during the day so until I could see him at night once he was home and stuff I couldn’t tell. I bought him as a female I think and named her Cruella and then on here found out male and called her JJ for Jesse James bc so mean. Or perhaps I bought as male and then thought female but either way her name was Cruella bc she was so red and territorial we thought she was a girl (and couldn’t tell bc of her nipped fins) and finally realized a boy I think when she paired up.
8804B656-140A-4C57-BEDB-09C17EEEB9A8.jpeg
97F6E309-F197-47A7-A25B-F062085425B3.jpeg
E16C5D6D-70B3-4352-A13E-7F5143B8121C.jpeg

Ravynn
Just saw you say all same batch and small sticks with the one. That’s a mated pair otherwise they will not hang out and swim together like that

I haven't been to that store in 6 months and they definitely had them for at least 6 months at that time. I would say they were more at the 3" mark. The little one stayed up front eating while it seemed like the 2 big males were testing each other, maybe that's what I saw instead of a pair following each other. The one I saw with a pink belly was a male and he had it for a few seconds and it disappeared.

It's hard to see in pics because i'm sure they don't get as much food as they should (there's a herd of honey gouramis in there), but the little one definitely has more roundness in the belly than those males. The males look more long and beefy to me.

Edit: I got sent these pics from another store of these 2 kribs. Do they both look like males or is the 2nd pic not good enough?

JoeWXEm.jpg
vZxH3WI.jpg

angelcraze
Can't tell with the last pic of kribs, but as for the albinos, I say two males on top and the smaller is female. I can see her rounded caudal. If I saw those kribs, I wouldn't hesitate to get the smaller one and the male she is most often swimming with, that's how much I think she is female.

She is not in breeding mode yet, (being at the store), but she will get there once you bring her home in a calmer tank and feed her good foods.

Falena
Edit: I got sent these pics from another store of these 2 kribs. Do they both look like males or is the 2nd pic not good enough?
I would guess the top pic is female and the bottom is male but can't be 100% with these pics, they look quite young too . It's worth noting that females retain more color most of the time, even though it intensifies during spawning, while males tend to be greyish unless they are spawning

angelcraze
I would guess the top pic is female and the bottom is male but can't be 100% with these pics, they look quite young too . It's worth noting that females retain more color most of the time, even though it intensifies during spawning, while males tend to be greyish unless they are spawning
Yeah my male krib was grey and dull until he got used to my tank and started breeding. But after that, he never dulled again. The thing is I didn't have them very long before I had to rehome them.

Falena
Yeah my male krib was grey and dull until he got used to my tank and started breeding. But after that, he never dulled again. The thing is I didn't have them very long before I had to rehome them.
Same here! Though when I was breeding I did notice certain males grey out a bit after a lengthy, successful spawn, when the female was resting up, only for a little while though until she was ready again. Then right back to bright warning colors. They tend to pretty much remain in spawning mode once they're comfortable don't they? Lol frisky lil things

KribensisLover1
I agree that the top krib (the non albino) is a female the bottom male. And that the small is a female (albino) and the other two male. If you’re looking for a female then I would be confident enough to get the albino. Does the store give any input? Just curious bc the very experienced workers in the amazing stores I went to were all Incorrect in sexing. The one store had two workers who were positive about their sexing calls yet one said all male the other said all female. All the stores were wrong yet I wound up okay! I don’t know how it is to split up a pair. Are you interested in the female as a lone krib in a community tank or to mate with a male you have? The females are apparently more territorial and tougher to live with for other fish. Sorry if you know all this! But if you’re breaking up a mated pair to try to match the female up with a male at home I wonder if it’s tougher to make a match if she is coming from an established mate. Yes she would be okay but I wonder if
It makes a diff bc clearly not all fishes mate up with just any fish. Just curious! Didn’t see what you were planning except hoping to get the female. Never seen albinos and have had a lot of trouble finding any Kribs at all which is why I’ve travelled to a few stores.

Amazoniantanklvr
How can you tell form the second non-albino pic?

angelcraze
How can you tell form the second non-albino pic?
Yeah, taking another look at the non-abinos, I think the top pic is female because of the yellow coloration and dorsal fin shape (taller at the head and more rounded) whereas male dorsals are gradually getting deeper and extend at the end to a point.

The bottom I say male because he is grey like mentioned already.

Ravynn
Does the store give any input? Are you interested in the female as a lone krib in a community tank or to mate with a male you have?

It's a pet store but it's the only specialized "fish"store on my island other than Petsmart, the manager can try to help but nothing is guaranteed so I trust taking pictures and posting them on here more. I have no kribs at the moment, I was hoping to get a male and female at the store.

Yeah, taking another look at the non-abinos, I think the top pic is female because of the yellow coloration and dorsal fin shape (taller at the head and more rounded) whereas male dorsals are gradually getting deeper and extend at the end to a point.

The store that sent me those pics is 6hrs away so i've gotten fish shipped to me same day from them before. This is why i've never ordered kribs before now; i'm so nervous of not getting a male and female. Lol

Amazoniantanklvr
I know that. (not to be rude)
It looks "TOO" grey to be sexed to me. SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart you have some that look that grey right? or have they all colored up?

angelcraze

It looks "TOO" grey to be sexed to me. SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart you have some that look that grey right? or have they all colored up?
Well you asked
Yeah, that "male" is very young, so hard to sex, it's just a guess

Falena
It looks "TOO" grey to be sexed to me. SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart you have some that look that grey right? or have
I personally based my guess on the fact they are in the same store and probably from the same batch of similar/same age, so assumed if the females were almost in full colour then the males would be too. But of course its not always the case so being 100% accurate can't be applied here

KribensisLover1

Well I will Say angelcraze That my large male was colored as much as his mate the female. But I finally found pics of the small male and a female (Who was the one who mated up) on their first day and she is much pinker. Much. The one mated up and the male and another female hid a lot until I moved the mated pair and then the remaining female killed the male very fast. So I didn’t get to observe his coloring. So yes one aggressive male was bright but the young one below isn’t as bright as a female next to him. Totally not as bright. Good call. I saw him so little is why I forgot. I’m not an expert by any means I just know that pink doesn’t always mean female it’s also the
E1F7A90A-198D-40A5-BED7-E344064AD8F9.jpeg
B9C4308D-D764-4858-8BDB-8015F88E1A7F.jpeg fins. But coloration could be a huge indicator also and my bright male was just flaring always. He did grey down a lot when alone without other fish around his babies but he then died so not sure if he lost color bc of sickness.

Falena
He did grey down a lot when alone without other fish around his babies but he then died so not sure if
Just to confirm, none of my males ever coloured up when kept alone. It was only when introduced to females they did. But yes they do get nice and rosy when they're guarding too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChiefBrody
Replies
Views
Rok55
Replies
Views
ramsforlife
Replies
Views