Help sexing 2 Pea Puffers

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all.
I was able to source a Pea Puffer online the other day. I bought just one for my 6.7 gallon cube. However two Puffers arrived. I know these fish do well in large groups but in pairs in a smaller tank they can be aggressive to each other from my understanding. So in case of an emergency I set up an empty 5 gallon I had real quick with some play sand, an HOB seeded with media taken from another established tank and some plant clippings from another tank. It's still very cloudy and so is the 6.7 gallon after messing with filters and whatnot.
Anyways the two Puffers have been in the 6.7 gallon for only 8ish hours (I know 2 are not recommended for this size tank). They have been following each other around a bit and occasionally circling each other but I have not seen any aggression. So far they have payed no attention to the shrimp, if they start going after them I have a plan B. for the shrimp. Anyways here's a couple pics of the puffers, any idea on the sexes? If they start showing aggression I'll move one over to the 5 gallon, however if they play nice I'll leave them together. I now accidentally have 4 tanks. Getting out of control.

tank 5.jpg
tank 4.jpg
tank 3.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank1.jpg

Zach72202

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The best way to tell is males will have "wrinkles" around their eyes, like white lines, and on the middle of their belly they will have a central dark line running longitudinally (nose to tail). This is given they are sexually mature.

aquachris

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are hard to determine as juveniles. Where did you get them from? Most are wild caught and should be treated for parasites in a Qt.

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think they're probably too young to accurately tell the gender tbh.

OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks all I think they're too young to tell right now. They are currently still getting along fine and not paying any attention to shrimp. The shrimp are producing little ones like crazy so I'm not worried about losing the colony. A few babies might get picked off from time to time. I got them from Aqua Imports. Not positive if they;re wile caught or not. I know many places are having a tough time getting fish imported so maybe they're from a breeder but not sure. Besides the shrimp they're in the tank by themselves so I'm not too worried about QT. Keeping a close eye on them and will move to another tank if they need to be treated.
Also should I probably just go ahead and separate them now so they can each have their own tank? They're getting along as of right now but once they mature they might not anymore.

New Threads