Reaction score
Experience
1 year
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have a 10 gallon with 3 amano shrimp and 2 red cherry shrimp. I was wondering if it was possible to sex the shrimp. Also how easy is it for them to breed in my tank? Why is one cherry shrimp significantly smaller than the other one even though i bought them at the same time and same size

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Females shrimp are pretty much always larger than males, sometimes up to twice as large. They will also have a dark patch in their "head" called the saddle which is pretty much developing eggs. If you have a male and female, a safe filter and their are no predators in the tank then I bet you will have some little shrimp before too long.

Phikmis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, one rcs is almost twice the size of the other so that might be that! What does the patch look like on both the rcs and amano

Polyrhythm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks like a yellow or green "U" shape behind the head on RCS, but since yours are a deep red you won't be able to visibly see their saddles. Females also tend to have a rounded stomach for carrying eggs, the first RCS looks female imo.

As for amanos they have the patches too but they're harder to see since they blend in with the color of the amano. Female amanos still have rounded stomachs though and usually have a line of dashes on their sides, males will only have dots. Both RCS and amano females are much bigger than males however.

Phikmis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I definitely have one male and one femal RCS but the amano are all the same size. Two are a darker more brown color than clear. Their bellies are relatively flat but they are all large in size

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom