Help sex my Kribensis please

deke11

Hoping some experts can help me.
From what I can tell, the fins make me think this is male, but the belly size, tail fin, and the reduced amount of red make me think it's a female.
The guy I adopted it from said it was male, but thinking otherwise. T

Attachments

• 20211028_173103.jpg
    20211028_173103.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211028_173054.jpg
    20211028_173054.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12

MacZ

It's a female. In Pelvicachromis the girls are the really colourful ones.
And the belly would be much less red in a male than in this one here.

emeraldking

Your source has been mistaken. This is really a female. For as already been told overhere, just the female will color the belly.
In these pics, the tip of the dorsal looks bend by flow. When it's straight again, you'll see that the tip is round edged. This is also a female trait. Unless, we're dealing with a very young male that still has to develop a pointy edged dorsal. But they won't develop a colored belly.

chromedome52

SEXING PELVICACHROMIS: There is only one, 100% accurate and guaranteed way to sex any species in this genus. It is given in the description of the genus, and is so important that the genus was NAMED for this trait. The paired Ventral, or PELVIC, fins on the belly will tell you the sex. If the first spine ray of the fin is longer than all the other rays of the fin, giving it a pointed shape, it is a MALE. If the first spine ray is shorter than the next rays, the fin will have a more rounded appearance, making it a FEMALE.

I have photos of males with bright red bellies, and females with pointed dorsals and colorful tails with no body color at all. They are sometimes the result of accidental hybridization, but regardless of this, they still have the Ventral Fin characteristics of the Genus Pelvicachromis.

I expect to have to repeat this again next month sometime. If not sooner. :rolleyes:

yukondog

I believe it's a Female, I agree with chromedome52, I have had males with alot of red on them but the fin will always tell.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Billie1
  • Question
Replies
Views
bree78
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies