HELP!! Several glofish have died

dbhoyle

I have a 20 gallon tank, that is stocked with 10 Glofish, 4 Neon Tetras and 3 Plecostomus. I have had 8 Glofish have died within weeks of each other. meanwhile Neon Tetras and Plecos have been unaffected. the Glofish are fine then a few hours later will be dead. I notice right before the glofish are dead they are swimming up to the top of water gasping for breath.
Water temp: 74 F
pH: 7.4-7.5
Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0-5 PPM
I change 5 10 qt buckets of water every 2 weeks
I use Seachem Prime and Pristine
What is happening with my fish?

jpm995

Possible just bad stock from your lfs. I don't understand how a cycled tank could have nitrate=0, especially with so few water changes. Also those plecos will quickly outgrow your tank. Usually neons are more sensitive to water params than danios.

Sien

Is the tank cycled? What kind of plecos? I don't think any pleco, even the smaller kind, can live in a 20g. So I kindly advise you to look into that/move them to a larger thank. A cycled tank should have a small amount of nitrate so having everything at 0 is alarming.

dbhoyle

It is low I typed the wrong amount in. the plecos aren't the problem.

Sien

dbhoyle said:
It is low I typed the wrong amount in. the plecos aren't the problem.
I understand that, I was just advising that so you will not have future problems with them. 3 plecos in a 20 gallon will definitely lead to problems in the future. Did you get the glofish recently? Could have been a bad batch. They are genetically modified so you never know what problems they will face, including possible early death.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom