Help Setting Up Rockscape In New Aquarium

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am getting ready to setup my 32G tank and have decided to go with rock rather than driftwood. I live in New Mexico, and am surrounded by a lot of igneous rock. Is it safe to forage for "wild rocks" to stock the tank?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I am getting ready to setup my 32G tank and have decided to go with rock rather than driftwood. I live in New Mexico, and am surrounded by a lot of igneous rock. Is it safe to forage for "wild rocks" to stock the tank?
Yes, just be careful of rocks that may contain heavy metals, such as pyrite. If they are igneous it is probably fine, but do the vinegar test:

If you place a drop of vinegar on the stone and it foams or sizzles, the rock will alter your pH and hardness. If they do not, they are inert.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One more thing - it's ill-advised to boil rocks, which is often asked if the rock is suspected of containing harmful bacteria or fungi.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No matter what you do to clean the rock I think you should soak them/it in dechlorinated water for a while (hour?) before adding them to the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom