Help Setting Up Adf Aquarium

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Next week I plan on buying an African Dwarf Frog for the 1.7 gallon tank I have. I want to know what kind of substrate I should use? Can I use the same, standard aquarium gravel I have in my other aquariums?

Also feeding wise, what should I feed it? Would a diet of freeze dried blood worms be ok? Or is it necessary to feed them those already made aquatic frog foods?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Yes you can use aquarium gravel, just make sure it is smooth and not large; large gravel pieces (like marbles or river stones) can trap/crush your frog. However, lots of people like to use fine sand (not coarse) as well; they can spit it out and if by chance they eat it, it'll pass right through.
•frozen/freeze blood worms, brineshrimp, krill
•(cut up) regular worms
fish food sinking pellets (small) or aquatic frog food

For frogs, they aren't always the smartest (but they're cute ) but you can train them to eat by using a small terra cotta dish and putting food onto it; they'll son associate food with it. On that, be wary that they aren't foragers, and their food may become lost in gravel substrate and rot leading to polluting the tank, that's why a lot of people like using the dish method. Alternatively, if you have tongs, you could spot feed, but that's a little more work/time and u run the chance that their brain doesn't register food that is in front of their face and won't eat it (lol! Cute but dumb)

Hope this helps!

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't put more than two in there.
I wasn't planning on putting anything other than a single ADF. I know it should be at least a gallon per frog, and I like to exceed the minimum a bit. So 1.7 gallon should be perfect for the one I plan on getting

Hello!

Yes you can use aquarium gravel, just make sure it is smooth and not large; large gravel pieces (like marbles or river stones) can trap/crush your frog. However, lots of people like to use fine sand (not coarse) as well; they can spit it out and if by chance they eat it, it'll pass right through.
•frozen/freeze blood worms, brineshrimp, krill
•(cut up) regular worms
fish food sinking pellets (small) or aquatic frog food

For frogs, they aren't always the smartest (but they're cute ) but you can train them to eat by using a small terra cotta dish and putting food onto it; they'll son associate food with it. On that, be wary that they aren't foragers, and their food may become lost in gravel substrate and rot leading to polluting the tank, that's why a lot of people like using the dish method. Alternatively, if you have tongs, you could spot feed, but that's a little more work/time and u run the chance that their brain doesn't register food that is in front of their face and won't eat it (lol! Cute but dumb)

Hope this helps!
Yes! This helps a lot I don't trust the gravel I currently have then because it does have some larger sized river rocks in it. I'll just opt for some fine sand. So for the terra cotta dish method, I would just place the dish in there when I plan on feeding them? Or could I keep it in the tank and just use a turkey baster to place the blood worms in it when it's feeding time? Also - how often should I feed?

Last edited by a moderator:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes! This helps a lot I don't trust the gravel I currently have then because it does have some larger sized river rocks in it. I'll just opt for some fine sand. So for the terra cotta dish method, I would just place the dish in there when I plan on feeding them? Or could I keep it in the tank and just use a turkey baster to place the blood worms in it when it's feeding time? Also - how often should I feed?
For the dish method- either is fine, consistency is key though. although I find it to be better to use the dish ONLY when feeding (i.e.: put in when feeding, remove when done)to reinforce the connectivity of food with it. Personally, I do a "combo"; I put my dish in when I'm feeding and use a turkey baster to squirt my food on the dish; its easy to do it that way, especially if your working with a really messy food and I don't like sticking my giant hands in this tank Also, there is a chance if u leave the dish in the tank, all the excess food left behind is a good place for rotting and accumulation of algae or such; too dirty for a small tank over time, I don't like risking it

I like to feed mine every other day, but he gets a "good sized meal" to hold him over (if that makes sense). My friend enjoys feeding hers everyday, but her meals are much smaller. So, food frequency really depends on how much your feeding your frog at one time.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
5 Gallons is minimum for these guys. Then for stocking densities you want at least 2.5 gallons per frog.
They are social so just getting 1 isn't a good idea.
Sand is a great substrate for them.

Edit: Also make sure the filter has a low flow. They don't like flow and some people have had problems with them getting their feet caught in filters. A sponge filter would be best.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately, I have to agree with BottomDweller on the minimum size tank and the fact that these guys are social and need at least two. I would personally go with a 10 gallon, but 5 is ok.
I have two in a 20g long species specific tank with plans to add four more. Only other tank mates are ghost shrimp and nerite snails. I have a regular hob filter with a soap dish dispersing the outflow as well as a small sponge filter. If you choose to go ahead with the 1.7, a sponge filter will be a good choice. Sand substrate and using a dish in the same spot every time is good advice.
Please read up on chytrid fungus that has infiltrated the adf breeder stock. I tried to add four and they had a fungus that may or may not have been it. I had to put my original 2 through the lamisil treatment. The four new ones did not survive. Please seriously consider doing the treatment before adding to the main tank. Two little critter carriers would be very helpful.
Here are a couple helpful links for you:

Important - Chytrid Fungus in ADF's and ACF's
Please come back with questions.
I will find my thread on my experience and add the link in this post. Found it:
African Dwarf Frogs Dying

African Dwarf Frogs Dying

For a 1.7 gallon tank, have you considered colorful shrimp and nerite snails instead? Then maybe pick up a 5 or 10 gallon for a little frog group?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom