Help selecting Africans

RonP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK...based on input from Fishlore, I have purchased a 55 gallon 48 inch tank. I know I will stock Elec Yellow labs. Need help on selecting a second African species for compatibility and appearance. Would love to have a neon blue choice.
Please suggest choices. Also, roughly how many Africans for the tank. Thanks in advance.

jkkgron2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on breeding the yellow labs? If you are then will you keep them or sell them? If you keep them I would recommend a species only tank so you have room for babies, I don’t know about any other cichlids I just know that they breed a lot.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Electric Blue Ahli or Fryeri hap are both a pretty neon blue. They stay relatively small too. The Cynotilapia Afra are really awsome Mbuna, and come in several color morphs. I keep the White Top Afra & Purple Afra. Here's pics of mine.
20191119_202443.jpg
20191119_202323.jpg

RonP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank will be strictly for home enjoyment.
Love the deeper blue top pic. What is the name?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both of the blue cichlids are called Electric Blue Hap. The top one is an "Ahli" the bottom one is a "Fryeri" Iceberg.

RonP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A201 said:
Both of the blue cichlids are called Electric Blue Hap. The top one is an "Ahli" the bottom one is a "Fryeri" Iceberg.
Thanks..very helpful.

RonP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are they at all compatible with the elec yellows?

ryang85

Reaction score
RonP said:
Are they at all compatible with the elec yellows?
Some people have good luck with mbuna in hap and peacock tanks. I personally had a terrible experience when I put in a single electric yellow in my peacock/hap tank. The one 4 inch mbuna had all of my 6 to 8 inch haps pinned in a corner on the first day to the point they were jumping out of the tank. If you want some blues and oranges I would recommend looking at a peacock/hap tank. My favorite peacocks are
blue blood dragon hybrid
eureka jakes,
OB
Regal
If you like yellow there's the yellow jakes
A 55 would be too small for most larger haps but as long as you can keep good water quality you can fit about a dozen peacocks in that tank. You can go all male or buy breeder packs( 1m per 3f).

Look around online at some breeders, I've had good luck with imperial tropicals and snake river cichlids. There is many types to choose from.
Mbuna are more rock dweller while peacocks and haps tend to midwater but the peacocks will make use of some good rocks.

RonP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Appreciate..I intend to build a rocky tank. These are helpful input.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe the best way to keep Mbuna, Haps & Peacocks together is to construct an elevated complex hardscape. One that reaches half the height of the tank. Leave the upper half of the tank bare.
Of course in a 55 gal. Only one or two smaller variety Haps in the mix.
@ryang85, good to hear somebody else also keeps Blue Dragons. One of my favorites too. Not too common.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom