HELP seeding 5 gal tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ryanbyunn, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ryanbyunn

Ryanbyunn New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank. My 10 gallon tank has just finished cycling and my 5 gallon is just starting it's cycle. Can I switch the filter cartridges of my 10 gallon filter and my 5 gallon to speed up the cycle, will that restart my cycle for 10 gal? (Sorry if it's a little confusing)

2. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

That would restart the 10 gallons cycle, as nearly all the bacteria live in the filter, and when you switched back, the 5 wouldnt be cycled, as the cycled filter left. I hope that wasn't confusing, cause it kinda confused me typing it. Are you cycling with a pure source of ammonia, or fishflakes/raw shrimp?

3. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

Assuming you have two filters, run your 5g filter alongside the 10g to colonize it for a few weeks, then just move it to the 5. Heard that being said on here quite often

4. OP
    OP
    Ryanbyunn

Lol Srry forgot to say that I'm doing a fish in cycle by accident

5. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

I would recommend just adding tetra safe start or using stability for the five gallon if it's fish in. What kinda fish are you cycling with?

6. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

TSS route is one way,
    Prime and stability is another (my preferred way)

If you want to bother to try and seed it, you'll need just a piece of the 10's filter.

If it were me I'd just do fish in cycling and leave the 10 alone so I don't mess anything up.

And in the future, I would run the filter for your planned tank in your current tank and use it when ready. I'm doing this with my 10 gallon. My 10 gallon has an HOB filter and is cycled. I added in a sponge filter and I'm letting it gather bacteria for a while before I'm gonna use it in a new tank!!

Hope that was some sort of help.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

What fish do you have in each tank? How are you currently doing your fish in cycle? Are you using a bacterial starter?

8. OP
    OP
    Ryanbyunn

I have a Betta in my 5 gal, and I think I might just move decor from my 10 gal to my 5 gal

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Decor doesn't have as much beneficial bacteria on it as filter material does. It may help, but not too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice